News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Chinese medal

j-sk

Hello Gentlemen,

Does anyone know what this Chinese medal refers to (blank reverse)?

Is it a fake or a vintage one?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Jean-Sam.

Hi Jean-Sam,

why do you think this is a chinese medal?

The motif (cross, wreath ... ) is not very chinese.

Same goes to the craftsmanship.

By the way, is it just me or the central piece at obverse is missing?

Cheers,

Nick

The seller is listing this as a "Chinese" medal and has several others that he assumes Chinese even though it does not look Chinese.

The only thing I can see being close to Chinese is the 5 colored rings/circle that represents the five races of China, and with the red being center, is not a Manchukuo type (yellow would be the center). But without any writing to identify it, this is a tough one.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Although it might look very "Westerner" I think it is Chinese because of the colours used in the central medallion.

Whereas for the missing part, it looks like nothing is missing...

Cheers,

Jean-Sam.

I agree with HC's #4.

In addition, the wreath of leaves looks similar to the tung leaves of the Fourth and Fifth Class Order of Rank and Merit.

There were hundreds of medals in the Warlord Era, not all of them documented. This might be one of those but identifying it could be almost impossible now.

Edited by drclaw

Although it might look very "Westerner" I think it is Chinese because of the colours used in the central medallion.

Hmmm...

I guess it could be issued by some western organization (religion or charitable for example) as some kind merit medal to its chinese members...

Whereas for the missing part, it looks like nothing is missing...

Take a good look at the central (enameled red) medallion and you will see a hole ;)

Was there a plate (in the form of the letter or organization symbol)?

In addition, the wreath of leaves looks similar to the tung leaves of the Fourth and Fifth Class Order of Rank and Merit.

What a terrible thing to say! :lol:

There were hundreds of medals in the Warlord Era, not all of them documented. This might be one of those but identifying it could be almost impossible now.

Yes, but can we find among them medals and orders in the form of the cross? :whistle:

Indeed we can! The Order of Rank and Merit. But of course, the shape represents the Five Cardinal Points: North, South, East, West and Centre.

Actually, I can imagine at least one warlord who might have given out medals in the shape of a cross - Feng Yuxiang, the Christian Warlord.

Thank you all, Gentlemen, for your valuable remarks.

One thing is sure though: China - as well as Chinese phaleristics - is a definitely mysterious and fascinating world where there is always something to find or discover.

Hmmm...

I guess it could be issued by some western organization (religion or charitable for example) as some kind merit medal to its chinese members...

Take a good look at the central (enameled red) medallion and you will see a hole ;)

Was there a plate (in the form of the letter or organization symbol)?

Actually it is not a hole but only a mere black dot.

Yes, because the layer of red enamel on the central medallion is intact... as well as all the other bits of enamel though. No hairline, no hole whatsoever.

Yes, because the layer of red enamel on the central medallion is intact... as well as all the other bits of enamel though. No hairline, no hole whatsoever.

Dimension of the cross: 36,5mm.

Ribbon: greenisch fieldgrey 30mm wide with a 6mm central red-orange stripe.

Edited by j-sk

• 10 years later...