News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police community relations Australia....

• 4 weeks later...

Up to mid eighties such behaviour was frowned upon by the UK Police Service with many officers being put on report including one in Liverpool who merely let a football supporter wear his helmet whilst he donned the supporters red/white cap. However, the Powers that be later decided that such displays of interaction were to be encouraged as it would let the public see the human side of the Police. An old hand said to me, " Familiarity breeds contempt, just watch respect for the Police drop" have the intervening years proved him right ?

Up to mid eighties such behaviour was frowned upon by the UK Police Service with many officers being put on report including one in Liverpool who merely let a football supporter wear his helmet whilst he donned the supporters red/white cap. However, the Powers that be later decided that such displays of interaction were to be encouraged as it would let the public see the human side of the Police. An old hand said to me, " Familiarity breeds contempt, just watch respect for the Police drop" have the intervening years proved him right ?

I do recall an old City sweat telling me that when patrolling in pairs around the city centre they were instructed to walk side by-side down the centre line of the pavement "like they owned the place" and that they were only to give way to females and the elderly.

Edited by NickLangley

• 2 weeks later...

I think respect for various groups has deteriorated, but probably not because we've figured out that the POs put their pants on the same way we do. We recently had an 18 year old, probably mentally ill, with a knife but on an empty bus, shot 8 times then Tazered. In the presence of at least 20 officers. The poor bugger who did it - who has been charged with murder but I take no position on that - had 4 years in, half of it on court duty. Two weeks later 3 large cops Tazered a confused 80 year old with a kitchen knife. She broke her hip when she fell. Those kind of things make many Canadians feel fear or contempt for the police. Watching a PO dance - badly maybe - at Carabana tends, IMHO, to have the opposite effect.

I hope today's police aren't being trained to take the middle of the pavement and shoulder others off it! Taking names and busting head has, or should have, gone out of fashions. A friend of mine, a PO in downtown Toronto, likes doing bar calls with a small female partner, because mostly the drunks don't feel they have to take a swing at her. Me, I'm far more impressed to see two POs talk the brute down and quietly walk him out than see the silly b***er disappear onto the floor under a wave of blue and beat sticks. If I wanted brawls I'd watch John Wayne!

If police are respected less by the public, it has little or nothing to do with them smiling, chatting or even dancing!