News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ASSMANN DoppelAbz. Variant

I picked up this early Assmann Pilot Observer a couple of years ago. It is not the 'first' pattern that we typically refer to. Which makes me wonder, is this the first pattern badge, and the more common (still rare) version we see the 'second'? That would be logical. Why would ASSMANN introduce a different style in the middle of the normal production-run types we see, and yet have it be a rare and obscure style badge, with few examples known? It makes more sense, at least to me, that this style would be the earliest type. Note that it has the oblong eggshell type wreath, as also seen on some ASSMANN early Paras.

Also to note, and hard to see due to the closed pin, in the scan..... the badge is marked with the typical ASSMANN 'A', but immediately below is marked 'A&S', referring to ASSMANN & Sohne. The 'A' is barely visable to the left of the pin, and the 'S' to the right.

If you don't love the color of the gilting on this wreath, and the polished highlights, you are not a Luftwaffe Mann!

Regards,

Mark

[attachmentid=28257]

Tough question. The only way to know for sure is to have chronological production data direct from the company's historical records to support the uniqueness of the maker's mark and wreath. Are there other known badges with the A&S mark? Are their dates of production known?

Looking at just the Eagle alone.......I would not be comfortable calling this THE first pattern Assman pilot badge just based on the unusual maker's mark attached to it, just as I wouldn't call "CEJ" marked badges exclusively "first pattern" over other Juncker marked badges. These types of unusual marks may have been concurrent with other marks. Again, chronological production data will define these periods.

I think if I were being conservative, I would call it a variant of the first pattern pilot badge by Assmann since the eagle has not changed in form (or has it?), but has been married to an unusual wreath (prototype).

Why the wreath is different in shape...that's a stumper. Is it just the shape that is different or are the leaf segments unique in number, size, shape, etc.? Are there other badges known to have the wreath's unique shape?

However, I'm not a conservative in this respect, and I like to keep an open mind. Plus, you can not just look at the eagle alone. Wreath structures are often overlooked. This 'egg-shaped' wreath may have been a transition from the 'oblong' First pattern Juncker-made P/O 1935 (eagle clutching the swas attached to the wide wreath). Looking at the badge 'en toto', given all its unique characteristics, I would be completely content to call this THE First Pattern Assmann Pilot badge!

BTW -- That is one of the most stunning P/O badges I have ever seen! Wonderful! :beer: Now I'm jealous!!

Ah, the double marked doppel? I?ve always been very envious since first seeing this badge.

I just happen to have a shot of the maker mark in my files?..

[attachmentid=28415]

As Steve says, this mark was indeed used by Assmann on a whole range of products, belt buckles being the item that springs most readily to mind.

I also have a 2nd model RAD EM Hewer hanger in my collection that has the same mark and is dated '38, so yes, a pre-war mark.

[attachmentid=28416]

I'll do some research and see how far back this mark goes.

As to the date of manufacture of this badge... I wonder if it's a little later than we think. We do know that the firm of Assmann is known for using existing dies and parts to make up later badges when needed, as in the case of the use of the early alu? wreath dies in the making of their ?42 AG/FE badge. The rivets certainly suggest the use of the type of "trial" rivet found on later pieces and are nothing like the type found on other "Egg" shaped wreathed examples.

As an example, here is a transitional piece (1st pat eagle on an early, thin 2nd pat wreath) that has both the early domed rivet (left) and the "trial" rivet (right). These "trial" rivets seem to have started to appear on early 2nd pat pieces until the firm managed to perfect the (ringed) conical rivet in use on the heavy 2nd pat series.

[attachmentid=28417]

Of course this is all theory and until further evidence surfaces to help us in our quest for an answer, we will just have to remain in a state of :speechless:

In any event, this is a very rare marking to have on a very desirable piece.

If only it were mine!

'J',

The rivets on my egg/ Abz are very similar to those found on the earlier Juncker and Deumer pieces, ie - tombak flat topped rivets. Not the rounded 'nipple - shaped' rivets that are characteristic on the other early Assmann pilot series.

Additionally, the hand filing and workmanship on the eagle's wing tips, and on the lower chest feathers is near perfect. Just part of my speculation that this badge was made when time and experienced workers were both still in supply.

You like this badge? $$$$$

Regards,

Mark

PS - Yep, exact same makermark as on your RAD Hewer!

Edited by mmiller