News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

F.J. GROSSKREUZ

djn

Dear collectors,

I have a question concerning with F.J. Grosskreuz.

I would like to know if "elongated ring" officially belongs to this order or belong to F.J. Komturkreuz???

ring.jpg

On the internet you can find Grosskreuz with or without a ring...

Thank you for your opinion!

Edited by djn

Hello,

as I know, there is no difference between Grosskreuz and Komturkreuz FJO decoration (Kleinod) and this type of the ring you can find on pre-war gold pieces. If the "enlogated ring" is missing then the decoration is not complete. This concerns both grades, Komtur or Grand Cross.

Regards,

tifes

I can confirm that the Grand Cross sash badge should have the long ring (open to the rear, unless on gilt badges).

Sometimes, this ring was removed, for an easier suspension of the badge to the sash, by means of small snap-hooks.

Best wishes,

E.L.

P.S.: if i would have been offered a fine Großkreuz mounted to an also fine, original sash, where the long ring would be missing to the badge, I don't think that I'd ask for a reduced price, due to an incomplete piece...

I can confirm that the Grand Cross sash badge should have the long ring (open to the rear, unless on gilt badges).

Sometimes, this ring was removed, for an easier suspension of the badge to the sash, by means of small snap-hooks.

Best wishes,

E.L.

P.S.: if i would have been offered a fine Großkreuz mounted to an also fine, original sash, where the long ring would be missing to the badge, I don't think that I'd ask for a reduced price, due to an incomplete piece...

well, not everything is black and white and I agree with "Elmar Lang" about Grosskreuz. When the long ring is sewn on the original sash it`s OK but when it is sold separately without sash and it`s presented as Grosskreuz decoration but without long ring then it`s just incomplete decoration without ring. In such a case I would ask for lower price. Nobody can prove that it was really Grosskreuz once. Concerning open to the rear long ring I have Komtur FJO on the war neckband made of gold (hallmarked, V.M. production) with closed ring. It seems that decoration is WWI production but in gold not in gilded bronze. Long ring is in the style of those bronze one (not entirely in all details) but it`s in gold too.

Regards,

Tifes

The reason that I started this topic is this gold Grosskreuz on original sash:

grosskreuz-6.jpg

grosskreuz-2.jpg

grosskreuz-11.jpg

I bought it recently, not nowing that without the elongated ring is not completely. However, I am very happy with this new acquisition for my collection...

Thank you all for your help!

Best rgards

Edited by djn

Hi,

you should have shown it at once. :) This is the exact case as "Elmar Lang" was referring to. This decorationn is sewn on the original breast sash and I am really sorry for confusing you. Grosskreuz without sash and without long ring as shown on your first picture was "my starting point". You have got original Grand cross of FJO, Gebrueder Resch about 1875 (this type should be already hallmarked) in original sash and there is nothing to add from my side, except...Congratulation to the beautiful piece! :jumping:

Regards,

Edited by tifes