News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Exceptional Medal & Uniform Group - 2 NEW PHOTOS ADDED

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the McKenzie items have been withdrawn from the sale. No explanation was given.

Brett

The Upside is... if ALL items were withdrawn, then it is very likely they will be staying together.... which would probably not have been the case if the items had been auctioned.

I have missed out on items in the past because Auctions had been pulled, it is irritating, but on the other hand, for a group like this I am happy to see that at the end of the day someone managed to arrange that all stayed together.

I agree with Chris' comments.

The story I have heard is that some McKenzie family members had not been consulted about the sale and the subsequent disagreement in the family led to the withdrawal. The plan is to have all the items preserved and perhaps displayed at the school where some or all of the McKenzie men were educated. Given the situation in South Africa, the management and complexion of this school will change, so the relics of the man who engineered victory in the 1906 Natal Rebellion may again be looking for a new home.

Brett

Brett - I haven't heard from the auction house - however, that was the scenario that I was expecting. You will remember that

exactly the same happened with the VC group to the Mafeking survivor - relatives 'popped-up' out of the woodwork. I believe

that it was eventually sold and went to the major collector in the UK. Mervyn

IMHO there is nothing wrong with the Relatives voicing their opinion, the two things we hear very often are

1) History being split up

and

2) Some member of the family flogging Grandfathers medals

When case 2) comes around, they should clear up the issues (both legal and moral) beforehand, it avoids recriminations afterwards.

The sad but realistic fact is, the legal owner is the legal owner, period. If some Nephew or Greatgrandson pops up and wants the goodies... the Owner (even if family) is no required to say "ooooohhh... whats EUR50 000 compared to keeping it in the family!... here little Johnny, keep them in honor!"

If I was the legal owner relative, and I had planned to sell, and some distant relative popped up and said "My whole life has been built around honouring dead uncle Mac, for the last 45 years I have had a shrine in my living room, and I visit his grave twice a week... "... I may consider giving them a price break.... but if there was a case of "Well, I am a relative to...."... I would give them a link to the auction and tell them to bid....

UNLESS there was a legal reason not to and it belonged to the someone else in the family.....