News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The 219th Highland Battalion (Nova Scotia), which I,m assuming was his regiment, was recruited in 1916, went to England in October that year and were eventually transferred to the 17th Reserve Battalion or the 85th battalion. Can't find any casualties to the 85th on the CWG site - it isn't recognizing the unit name for some reason, but they suffered heavily at Vimy and may have been gassed at some later date. Or there may have been a lingering wound or infection - not all the year's after deaths were gas, though it was a common cause.

I wonder whether he suffered a chest wound, or gas attack, which was determined to have weakened his heart so that the death so much later was 'service related'. An application for his medical file - which does cost a few dollars - would probably answer the question. Interesting!

Edited by peter monahan