News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looks like someone's collection is going under the hammer at Canterbury Auction Galleries next week.  There looks to be about 50 or so lots of truncheons and tipstaves, sold in lots of singles, 2, 3, and 4.

Be warned, as usual, if bidding, that the buyers' commission here is 24%, plus 3% for internet bidding.  Payments that involve credit cards are another 2% with VAT, and if you win high, you may be expected to pay by bank transfer, which opens you up to a lot more fees, from both receiving and sending banks.  (I've run the ropes a few times with different houses and banks.)

I've got one lot in mind, with that Scottish William IV Aberdeen staff.  Perfect for the theme!  I'm trusting you all not to run my bid up!  :lol:

Edited by Nightbreak

Well, anyone that was interested in the William IV truncheon from Aberdeen will certainly now be "upping" their bid! Forgive my saying so, but if you intend bidding on a particular item, its a good idea to, firstly not advertise that the auction is taking place and secondly, name the items you intend bidding on. Unless of course, you are acting for the auction house and seeking to advertise their business.

Dave. 

Dave: No, I'm not acting for the auction house. 

And if they want to up the bid and spend their money to beat me, they can try.  This is putting out that a large collection is available for my fellow collectors, if any of them are interested.  The more we know about each other's themes, the more we help each other.

Amazing that your family went from Canada to Alaska.  Must not have been cold enough for them when they arrived in the first place!

Someone's obviously enjoyed a lifetime of collecting, though, to look at some of those lots.  The dealers are probably going to pick up a great deal of them.

An interesting auction, but sadly in my humble opinion there were a number of fakes being sold. I was contacted by a number of collectors before hand and was able to advise them on their bidding. If you have read my book (Appendix 7 - Fakes and Pitfalls) you will understand why this was an important auction, but sadly for all the wrong reasons. My assessment is this was a collection built up in the 80's, which has not been on the market since that time. 

Don't get me wrong, I hate this sort of thing as it spreads confusion and doubt over items I have spend nearly 30 years studying. What I want to see is new collectors to the hobby who can buy with confidence. 

If anyone has any specific questions they wish to ask about items they can always contact me through my website truncheon.org.uk. 

Edited by Alan.Cook
    typo