News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question regarding recipent of Defence Medal

I have this small Defence Medal Set and would like to know, if it´s possible to determine the occupation (e.g. fire brigade, Home Guard ...) for which the recipient received his Defence Medal? The medal was awarded to an Mr W. T. Jeffree from Kilivose Camborne in Cornwall. By Google I was able to find a William Thomas Jeffree Born in 1909 from Camborne, but I don´t know if that´s my recipient?!

Defence Medal Set.jpg

With an unnamed, very common medla that may be as close as you can get, but your best bet is likely some one of the members with access to the Ancestry.UK site.  If you can track the born-in-1909 through their respurces you may be lucky enough to find reference to is service, especially if the syrname is a bit uncommon or if some family member has shared a family tree with bioraphical details on line.

Sorry that's not more help but perhaps the UK members can think of something I've missed.

Peter 

Thanks for the input so far!! The return address on the reverse of the box is the "Director of Navy Accounts, Branch 3B D Block Foxhill Hutments, Bath, Sommerset". Could this point to Coast Guard Service? I would be glad, if somebody with an ancestry.uk access could maybe look him up?

Edited by turtle

Possible line of enquiry would be that he may have served with either the Royal Marine special police reserve or Admiralty police, most likely based at RNAS Culdrose, 

Edited by dante

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest pikemedals

I found this saying about the defence medal  in a old medal book (1950s).only the wearer know how he won the defence medal.as their is so many organisation who awarded the medal paul

William Thomas Jeffree, born 1909 was a waiter living in Tyacks Hotel, Market Sq., Cambourne in 1939. Unfortunately there’s no mention of him being a pre-war warden/AFS/First Aider etc.

Tony

On 06/05/2016 at 20:08, turtle said:

Thanks for the additional info, Tony!

I should have added that he was the only WT Jeffree registered in Great Britain in 1939, so a very good chance the man you found is the recipient.