News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egyptian ancient art anyone

Cool!  I have a friend who is an archaeologist [and Biblical scholar] who did all his digs in the Middle East - Lebanon and Israel  - andf he had wonderful stories of the 'ancient coins' one can buy there.  "Oh, wait, effendi.  Let me get you a resh one from the back.' 

But I believe these items - 'ushabti', apparently - are common enough that they're not worth faking.  I look at those and the occasional bronze arrowhead with lust from time to time but have so far resisted the urge.  Please post more pics when you can.

Thanks a lot.

Jerry (member here too) is a archaeologist, but he just moved from Wales to Israel, and didn't see him being active on any militaria forum for a while...

Here are some more pic's, I just got it in.

RIMG0019.JPG

RIMG0026.JPG

RIMG0027.JPG

I am an archaeologist, and please keep in mind that antiquity laws in some countries do prohibit trade in some authentic artifacts if their provenience suggests they have been obtained illegally from excavations, and are not from older private collections that predate the establishment of any such laws. This can pertain to the import of such items into Europe, Asia, and the New World, as well as the export from countries that protect their antiquities. There is a brisk trade in modern fake ushabti, they are very easy to manufacture from modern or even ancient molds. It is uncommon for collectors to be prosecuted for small items, but the trade in antiquities certainly fuels larger scale destruction of archaeological sites. IS has used the sale of antiquities from looted museums and archaeological sites as a source of its revenue to support their insurgency. It is difficult to evaluate an item without physical examination. Although I am not an Egyptologist, I maintain an interest in ancient Egyptian archaeology. This item has a few peculiar aspects: the body proportions are uncommonly "lumpy", heavy in the butt and feet (in lateral view) that is uncommon in ushabti from pre-Greek periods. The size of the lips in both the profile and especially the lateral view seem suspect, and the facial form is a bit odd. It could be a late Greek period example (artisans approximated ancient styles with variable success at this time), or an inexpensive ushabti (ushabti are essentially folks who will do the work for the dead in the afterlife, and were purchased by those who could afford to hope for an eternity without work after death) that a less affluent, but still well-to-do, ancient Egyptian could get for their tomb furnishings. I would say there is a 75% chance this is a modern market item and not an ancient example. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Thanks for your input!

I have been dealing in antiques for the greatest part of my life. And I am aware of my countries, European and world laws regarding most antiques. I was of course also aware about IS uses, this have been headlines during a long period over here too.

Still don't know anything about this kind of items. But I am pretty confident, as I bought it from a auction house who sales on a weekly base, the household effects from cleared property's. Working with them since 1975, and can't complain.