News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help identifying medal.

GlennC

Hello,
    I have a portrait of Austrian major in uniform of lancers regiment "Archduke Carl" No. 3. Apparently he participated in suppression of hungarian uprising 1849 for which he received Leopold Order i Knight’s Cross, Russian order of St.Vladimir 4th class with swords. He also has a  medal, ribbon looks like Prussan "life saving". May be someone can help me identify it.

H0054-L148028478.jpg

P1030031.JPG

Hi Glenn,

I would say that this particular medal should be the Medal for saving of the Papal State by Austrian troops 1849 ( Medaille für die Rettung des Kirchenstaates durch österreichische Truppen 1849). If the regiment is correct (Erzherzog Karl Uhlanen Regiment No.3) then the major on the canvas might be probably Ferdinand Graf von (Count of) Vetter von der Lilie, later Feldmarschalleutnant (2 stars general but in k.u.k. Army just one rank below full General). 

Regards,

Tom

7 hours ago, tifes said:

Hi Glenn,

I would say that this particular medal should be the Medal for saving of the Papal State by Austrian troops 1849 ( Medaille für die Rettung des Kirchenstaates durch österreichische Truppen 1849). If the regiment is correct (Erzherzog Karl Uhlanen Regiment No.3) then the major on the canvas might be probably Ferdinand Graf von (Count of) Vetter von der Lilie, later Feldmarschalleutnant (2 stars general but in k.u.k. Army just one rank below full General). 

Regards,

Tom

I would agree with the medal id indeed.

Here some facts for Ferdinand Graf Vetter von der Lilie:

Vetter von der Lilie, Ferdinand Graf (8.7.1812 - 15.9.1882):

25.9.1854 Generalmajor

8.9.1866 retired

15.12.1873 Charakter als Feldmarschallleutnant ad honores.

Christian

Edited by Christian1962

Thank you for helping me identify medal. I will try to do some research on Ferdinand Graf von (Count of) Vetter von der Lilie. It will be cool if it's indeed him.
    I am really appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Glenn