News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Delusional, or what?

Guest Darrell

What's this currency? Rs? Obviously from India ...

I'd say he has three to many zeros ... making his bid supposed to be $44 equivalent?

Rupees, of course. And, yes, there could have been a confusion, as the number he gave would normally have been expressed as Rs. 20,00,000 (twenty lakhs), so possibly confused (from Hoshiarpur, after all) by goofy gora comma use. Yet Rs. 2,000 would have been too much (they used to be stable, commodity-like, at Rs. 500, now have moved into the Rs. 1,000 range, alas).

Even sadder is the elderly gentleman (and I have seen this more than once), just in off the long train ride from the villages, who arrives in New Delhi, goes to one of the familiar dealers with his treasure lovingly wrapped in a handkerchief. It is his ancestor's treasured Victoria Cross that he does not want to sell, but must to raise funds. As he tearfully unwraps the family's pride, we learn that the Victoria Cross was a four-pointed star with a crown, crossed swords, and a wreath. Who wants to be the one to tell him that his 1914-15 Star will not solve the family's financial crisis?

Even sadder is the elderly gentleman (and I have seen this more than once), just in off the long train ride from the villages, who arrives in New Delhi, goes to one of the familiar dealers with his treasure lovingly wrapped in a handkerchief. It is his ancestor's treasured Victoria Cross that he does not want to sell, but must to raise funds. As he tearfully unwraps the family's pride, we learn that the Victoria Cross was a four-pointed star with a crown, crossed swords, and a wreath. Who wants to be the one to tell him that his 1914-15 Star will not solve the family's financial crisis?

Hallo Ed :beer:

Just as sad to observe an old Romanian gentleman upon hard times, come to an Exposition in Bucharest, and get "mugged" just inside the door by a "reputable" dealer, for his families 6 Officer decorations, including the Commander Crosses of the Crown and Star of Romania, while not fully understand the language, I was savvy enough to follow what was happening, the old "but you know they have an historic value, but not a monatary one, and I will do you a favour by giving you a little over the value. . ." spiel..

He gave the old gentleman 3 million lei, which at the time was worth about 95 Euro for all the items and the following week in pride of place at the dealers business was each item with a price tag of 120 Euros. Seems the sharks are always waiting to pounce, speaking of sharks. . . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-German-Ribbon-Bar...1QQcmdZViewItem

I would tell him what it really is but after telling him that his DDR uniforms were not really suitable for WW2 German re-enacting or display for iii reich militaria he has me on his blocked list.

Maybe this one was meant for Adolf, the one he never wore :rolleyes:

Kevin In Deva. :cheers: