News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I bought this as Austrian... silly me :blush:

It may have originally beenAustrian, but it was obviously worm later as well.

Just the rests of the paint left, the rivets have been replaced, a washer, then an aluminum rivet squashed on both sides instead of a splint...

I assume the liner is a replacement, but period and used, not some collector thing.

Could it be afghan?

There are no holes on the side, but a tiny one up on the front in the middle, I assume for the pin of a badge of some sort.

Hallo Chris :beer:

Any chance of seeing a picture of the hole in the front of the helmet, from what I recall Afgan ones had an insignia on the sides not the front.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

I bought one like that about 20 years ago from Military History magazine, they advertised it as being found in a Spanish warehouse.

Such rivets are unlikely Bulgarian, probably other reissue /Spanish, as was said/. The Bulgarian reissues have domed rivets, seen on Bulgarian M36 and Czech helmets or steel non-removable rivets.

• 7 months later...

When would the Sapnish have used these? Civil war period?

Did the spanish ever have a badge on the front?

Hallo Chris, I found this link to Spanish helmet website, might be worth contating the owner maybe he can i.d. your lid IF it is in fact of Spanish origin.

http://www.gostak.demon.co.uk/helmets/spain.htm

He makes this reference with regards a TRUBIA Spanish helmet: "Original issues would NOT have had the clasp for a national insignia welded to the front; that was added at the end of the Civil War after the victory of the fascist Franco.

Just luv the quote from his site: " SPAIN MODELO Z liner.

Most definitely not a German wartime M42 when it has the later, web-cradle liner fitted in 1979, making it actually an M42-79.

Anyone selling these as genuine German M42s on ebay or elsewhere should be prosecuted for deception and fraud. Or stoned in the streets, which ever is the more satisfying." :lol:

Kevin :beer:

I have an Irish Vickers lid with similar looking rivets or pins (I'm not suggesting that the helmet portrayed is Irish).

One or two holes at the front? I have a relic lid picked up in Bosnia, it has two small holes & it has been suggested that it is a Serb helmet minus it's attached double headed eagle front badge.

• 2 weeks later...

My lifes philosophy is... there is nothing in life that is more fun doing without a stripper... than with a stripper.

Uhum... can we now see a photo of the good lady in question.....

I knew what would happen when I typed "stripper" but I went ahead & did it.

She's good at stripping - as in paint & wallpaper when we decorate - officer Zamo of the yard:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Sounds like a game of noughts & crosses.

She's hacked off at the moment 'cos somebody sent her a phone text yesterday - "Don't worry, you're safe - Bernard Matthews is only killing young birds with firm breasts" (for those not fortunate enough to lve in a land where dead turkeys drop from the sky, or would if they could fly that high, this is a reference to the current avian flu turkey cull beng carried out in Britain. Poor little buggeres must think christmas has come early).

Off thread a little?

• 1 year later...