News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello gentlemen,

I would like to hear opinions on this id disc.I have no reason to believe it to be TR as there where Landespolizeibeh?rden pretty fast centralised by fatty G?ring.It bears some interesting characteristics whether it be fake or real.I do believe it to be real,however.

Regards

[attachmentid=49681]

Edited by Rosenberg

I saw your question on the forum about the collar tag

> for a police dog (polizei diensthund). I am attempting to post a couple of scans of

> a similar disc I have had for about 15 years. Mine is also for the

> State of Hesse...but for the Schutzpolizei and is number 2. The

> number stamp appears to be the same as yours.

>

> At an early MAX show in Baltimore about 1990 or 91, I bought this

> disc from Sigmund Stefan, a German dealer whom I haven't seen or

> heard of in years....but one of the most honest men I ever met. He

> always went out of his way to point out repro material on his

> tables. He sold a lot of military surplus from Eastern Europe, and

> a lot of repro material....but now and then an original piece. I

> bought my first Third Reich era Gemeinde Kripo disc from him

> and still have it today. At the time, neither of us knew how rare

> it was.

>

> When he sold me the diensthund disc, he told me that he was almost

> certain that it was original...but postwar. I have always

> considered it to be just that, as I have never seen another or

> heard anything differently.

>

> We do know for certain that the Gestapo used service dogs as that

> fact is revealed on a Gestapo agent's free transportation pass, but I

> know nothing further about that.

>

> Just take this for whatever it is worth, which is little,

>but I thought you would like to see the disc. The

> pictures are very dark.

Thanks alot for sharing the picture! I am stunned by the fact you have one from the same region-small world it seems.That numbers indeed look like brothers.It is also interesting that the discs vary in design a little bit.Yours has the advantage that you know what job the former wearer performed :beer:

Best

[attachmentid=49902]

Thanks alot for sharing the picture! I am stunned by the fact you have one from the same region-small world it seems.That numbers indeed look like brothers.It is also interesting that the discs vary in design a little bit.Yours has the advantage that you know what job the former wearer performed :beer:

Best

I am attempting to post a better photo for you. Please bear with me, as today is my first attempt at posting a picture.

Thanks for your efforts!The new one would do fine I?d say.Do you have an idea about the material of yours? As it now looks a bit different than mine.I believe mine to be brass made.

Regards

Edited by Rosenberg

[attachmentid=49912]Reverse side of tag.

We seem to posting at the same time. The material of my disc is bronze I think. It has the same color and texture as a Third Reich era Gemeinde Kripo disc. It could be either pre-Third Reich era or post-1945, I suppose. There is really no way I know of at this time to determine the period of use of that type police dog tag. I think these mysteries are what keeps this part of the hobby interesting.

Best regards.

[attachmentid=49916]

We seem to posting at the same time. The material of my disc is bronze I think. It has the same color and texture as a Third Reich era Gemeinde Kripo disc. It could be either pre-Third Reich era or post-1945, I suppose. There is really no way I know of at this time to determine the period of use of that type police dog tag. I think these mysteries are what keeps this part of the hobby interesting.

Best regards.

Thanks for sharing the reverse!I agree with the mysteries! Mine is definetly made of a different material.I have no reverse pic right now,but on mine you can clearly see the different impacts left by the strikes of the numbers.Anyway,I am amazed what different kinds of id credentials were created.

Regards

Edited by Rosenberg

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

my first post on this forum I would like to start by asking your opinions about the following item I found a few months ago.

It is a brass(?) disc about 55mm wide and curved.

it reads : "Erster Deutscher Polizeihund Verein, Sitz Duisburg" around the edge and "P.H.N. 4038" in the center.

I know this organisation "First German Policedog Association" existed in the thirties. Is this tag also from this period?

thanks for your opinions.

kind regards

Ernst

Ernst, I have only seen a few examples of collar tags for police dogs, but I have not seen one before like yours, which appears to have a hole in each end. It may be an illusion created by the scan, but your tag appears to have a slight curve to it, suggesting that it might have been rivited to the collar of the dog, rather than attached by a single ring to the collar.

In any case it is an interesting tag, which I wish I knew something about.

Don Bible

Hi Don,

Indeed the tag is curved and has two holes, one at each end.

The wear on the holes edges do not look like it was attached to a chain so maybe indeed it was attached to a leather collar by means of rivets

I hope to find out more about this tag someday.

PS. What are the dimensions of your Policedog tag

Edited by Ernst

Hi Don,

Indeed the tag is curved and has two holes, one at each end.

The wear on the holes edges do not look like it was attached to a chain so maybe indeed it was attached to a leather collar by means of rivets

I hope to find out more about this tag someday.

PS. What are the dimensions of your Policedog tag

Ernst, please excuse my late reply. The disc was not where I was at the moment yesterday. The dimensions are approximately 31x52x2 mm.