News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cased Juncker Pilot badge

Hi all,

As things are a bit slow I thought I would post some photos of my only cased Pilot badge..a nice worn J2.I've posted pics of it before but what the hell :P

One thing I have wondered about is the production period for J2's?...was it 39-41??

Cheers

Dave

[attachmentid=49813]

Hello

That's a real beauty Dave. :beer::love: Congratulations on super piece.

I only have one wartime Luftwaffe badge, and mine is also a Junckers pilots award. I think I was told when I posted it that it is a third pattern. So like you, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone can say approximately when the different patterns might have been made.

A Good question, Dave.

Seeing that the ?Juncker? factory was pretty much destroyed, leaving no records, it?s a very hard question to answer with any accuracy. Going on document groups that contain the various pattern styles, it can be speculated that the dates you mention are a good rough guide to the production time-frame for the J2. Whatever the reasons (The end of the die?s life perhaps) for the J2 series coming to an end were, ?Juncker? started the production of the J3. Initially the J3 was produced in buntmetal, as per the example shown by David which shows that the production run began at a time when high grade metals were still readily available (+- 1942). I think we can agree that zinc, being the alternative choice by the German orders manufacturing base, started during 1943 and lasted until the war?s end.

I?m sure that in years to come, future collectors and historians will refine these dates as documentation is found in archives, collections and even the odd attic, but until then...we can only speculate.

Btw... Nice birds, both. :beer:

Hello

That's a real beauty Dave. :beer::love: Congratulations on super piece.

I only have one wartime Luftwaffe badge, and mine is also a Junckers pilots award. I think I was told when I posted it that it is a third pattern. So like you, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone can say approximately when the different patterns might have been made.

Thanks David!....nice badge btw mate :love:

A Good question, Dave.

Seeing that the ?Juncker? factory was pretty much destroyed, leaving no records, it?s a very hard question to answer with any accuracy. Going on document groups that contain the various pattern styles, it can be speculated that the dates you mention are a good rough guide to the production time-frame for the J2. Whatever the reasons (The end of the die?s life perhaps) for the J2 series coming to an end were, ?Juncker? started the production of the J3. Initially the J3 was produced in buntmetal, as per the example shown by David which shows that the production run began at a time when high grade metals were still readily available (+- 1942). I think we can agree that zinc, being the alternative choice by the German orders manufacturing base, started during 1943 and lasted until the war?s end.

I?m sure that in years to come, future collectors and historians will refine these dates as

documentation is found in archives, collections and even the odd attic, but until then...we can only speculate.

Btw... Nice birds, both. :beer:

Thanks for the info John,very informative :cheers:

What is noticeable between David's J3 and my J2 is the finishing,the J2 still has the handsawn wingtips and tail feathers but these have not been bothered with on the J3.I suppose little extras like hand finishing had to be done away with has the war progressed and time/manpower dwindled :(

Dave

That's a nice one and I like the way it has extra hand finishing around the wing-tips and tail feathers. :beer:

I hope you're not considering collecting cased luft awards :unsure: . I don't think I could cope with the extra competition...It's hard enough as it is! :cheeky:

Rich

Thanks Rich :beer:

I've always wanted a cased Pilot badge and a worn one at that and this J2 fits the bill perfectly so I doubt I will have any more,I do want an Ehrenpokal though!

Dave