News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Researched OPW 2nd class Nr. 741.561

Karasev, Nikolai Danilovich

Lieutenant

Chief of Scouts, 1920th Howitzer Regiment, 10th Artillery Corps, at this time due to illness he is not working.

Recommended for Order of the Patriotic War 2nd Class

Born 1914

Russian

Member VKP/b/

Served on the North West front from 1 April 42 to 2 September 1944, 1st Ukrainian Front from 1 April 1945 to 30 April 1945

Wounded: 21 April 1944 light wound, 22 September 1944 heavy wound and 24 April 1945 heavy wound

Called up from Derzhinskim regional call up station, Ykhtomskovo Raion, Moskovskoi Oblast

Awarded medal "For Victory Over Germany 1941-1945"

Home: Lvov, Turgeneva, 50 kv, his family lives with him

Since I am not good at translating big batches, here's my summary of the citation. He was wounded three times "as an active participant in the Patriotic War". The first time was a light wound to his left hand on 21 April 1944. The second time was a heavy wound to both legs in the fight for Riga on 22 Sep 44. Finally, he's fighting in Berlin on 24 April 45 and gets wounded so bad in his left hand (remember it was hit before) that it had to be amputated.

Pretty interesting - an amputee from fighting in Berlin!

By the way, I was just noticing the Ukaz date on this one. I have quite a few Glory 3rds from the same date - 6 November 47. I think that was an Ukaz that awarded decorations based on wounds received during the War, as every decoration awarded on that day has been for wounds when it's been researched.

Dave

By the way, I was just noticing the Ukaz date on this one. I have quite a few Glory 3rds from the same date - 6 November 47. I think that was an Ukaz that awarded decorations based on wounds received during the War, as every decoration awarded on that day has been for wounds when it's been researched.

Dave

Dave,

thanks a million. :cheers: Thats the second OPW 2nd class for wounds this week. :blush: Whats new to me, is that Scouts were attached to Howitzer Units. Or is that meant as an Observer for the Artillery?

I have checked it and found a few Glories and Red Stars for this date, which were awarded for wounds. So, it really looks like a batch of these awards for wounds were indeed awarded on the 06.11.47 :beer: Edit: It looks like every year at the begin of November all Long Service Awards and other awards like cumulative awards and awards for wounds were processed. Probably nothing new to you guys, but its new to me!

Thanks again

best,

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Guest Rick Research

Because of his health, war invalid Group II.

Lieutenant 5.5.43

Wife Ol'ga Semenovna living with him at Apartment 5, Turgeneva Ulitsa 50 in Lvov.