News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish Cross in Silver without Swords

Stan

I have in my collection a hallmarked Spanish Crosss in Silver without Swords.

I have long been of the opinion that these crosses, of which only very few were awarded, were produced without attached swords. I am now wondering if ALL of these crosses were originally produced with swords, and these swords were removed before the eagles were affixed.

The reason I am asking this is because many collectors feel that these crosses could have been altered post war to increase their value.

What do forum members think?

Juan or Jaques are the ones that will know. Both are very knowledgeable and they will most likely reply.

I d to hearing the verdict. For me, It looks okay. But my knowledge of the SCW pales in comparison to their's.

:beer: Doc

Yours appears to be made from a die without swords but there are legit ones with swords cut off. That gets into tricky territory though. It is thought that meybauer(I believe it is meybauer) had no die without swords and cut them of as needed. It seems to be if you can detect the cutoff but it is very well done that is suspect. The meybaur ones you can clearly see the cutoff but the finish is applied afterwards so it is on top of the cut area.

Best, Sal

Hi Stan,

Your cross looks to a Meybauer marked 900. I can't see the coat of arms, but I own such a cross with swords only marked 900. To my knowledge, I do think that Meybauer never used a special die for its without sword crosses,but cut the swords more or less accuratly. On your cross I think it was done very well.

Indeed, the swords cut could have been done postwar in order to increase the price. Nevertheless, it seems to me quite difficult to do, because the crook have to keep the age ton of the cross. Generally, on the period made crosses, there is no color difference between the cross and the altered part.

regards

jacques

Sal,

I don't understand what you mean by "small swastica".

The eagles were soldered close to the center and the swasticas were soldered to the center too. the picture is not taken from above but a little bit sided, this is the reason why the upper right eagle's swas looks like cut.

jacques

Sal,

I don't understand what you mean by "small swastica".

The eagles were soldered close to the center and the swasticas were soldered to the center too. the picture is not taken from above but a little bit sided, this is the reason why the upper right eagle's swas looks like cut.

jacques

The eagles holding the swastikas. the top arm of the swastikas are not defined at all. The swa looks like it has 3 lower arms and a lump . looks like they are badly cast or something.

Thanks for all your responses. It looks as if my piece originally had swords after all which were then cut-off before the eagles were attached.

I am posting a couple of pics as requested. On the reverse side you will see that the central disc is not perfectly round as it is on a Spanish Cross in Bronze without Swords, so it probably has had swords removed.

I know what Sal is referring to. Under magnification, the top of each swastika appears to be "filled in". I never noticed this before and it is certainly not noticeable to the eye.

Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your responses.

Stan