News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danzig Wooden Wall Plaque

Hello all,

I've had this piece for a while and finally remembered to take some digi-cam pics of it. It is a hand carved port of Danzig plaque with a maker mark of what I think is "JS" and is of very high quality artisanship. I was wondering if anyone recognizes it as an official wall plaque of the pre-war Danzig administration, or a commemmorative plaque created by a sentimental German artist after the war? I believe this coat-of-arms was for the period between ww1 and ww2 for the Free State of Danzig, in the German naming of the city (Polish called it Gdansk, it's modern name). I think it may be from the 20's or 30's before the Nazis took over administration and added the swastika. I put it in this forum because I think it is the most closely related as it is a German civil (or maybe political) piece that may have stuck around in a TR office during Nazi rule in Danzig. Then again, it could be a post-war sentimental piece as I mentioned earlier, but the wood seems fairly old. Please lend any help if someone knows more about this wooden plaque and if it was maybe an official wall plaque.

Cheers and thanks again,

Pat :beer:

Lastly, here is a close-up of the artists mark of JS. Maybe someone recognizes this marking?

This one has always been a bit of a mystery to me, but my guess is it was either an official or unofficial plaue from pre-ww2 Danzig. Any comments and information on this rarely seen item are great!

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

"Very" nice piece there... good find! Love the woodwork. Someone put alot of effort into that one. I've got a wood plate with the different German state seals on it but it pales in comparison to this. And of course mine was done post war as a souvenir type item.

Wish I could find good stuff like that these days. :beer: Besides being good period pieces they're also great as added decor with any related collection in a den or display area. :jumping::jumping:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

Interesting item. However the same coat of arms is still used today and although the Polish call it Gdansk the Germans still even today still call it Danzig. So it is going to be very difficult to date.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the comments gents :beer:

It is indeed hard to date, I have been trying to since I got it with no luck so far! Oh well, maybe sombody will recognize the maker mark or the design and be able to date it someday, I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed :blush: It is a beautiful piece of woodwork regardless so I am happy either way.

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Pat