News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

russian id papers/dogtags ...

i don't really know where to put this question, but as id papers/dogtags will be the "easiest" thing to research, i guess, it might fit in here.

how do they look like and what kind of data do they content?

are there something similar like a dogtag and a wehrpass on the german side or totally different?

thanks a lot for the help.

christian

i don't really know where to put this question, but as id papers/dogtags will be the "easiest" thing to research, i guess, it might fit in here.

how do they look like and what kind of data do they content?

are there something similar like a dogtag and a wehrpass on the german side or totally different?

thanks a lot for the help.

christian

Christian:

ID documents are researchable, but you have to determine if it's worth the money to spend something around $80-$100 to get the personnel file for a veteran just to add to his ID document. I'm attaching a photo of the inside page of one to this post. The inside pages (some of them that were filled in) can be seen midway down in the following link:

http://www.forvalor.com/s64b.htm

As for dog tags, I have only seen one Soviet dog tag and it's not researchable that I'm aware of. I'll post a photo of that in my next post.

Dave

Here's the only dog tag I've ever owned. This one belonged to an Air Force Lieutenant Colonel who retired in the 1980s. During WW2, the Soviet soldiers kept small plastic (bakealite?) capsules on them with a piece of paper inside to ID their body if found. Last time I was in Moscow, there were quite a number of these cannisters available at the flea markets from diggers.

Dave