News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ODM of Dutch General Snijder

Cornelis Jacobus Snijders 1852 - 1939, he was the supreme commander of the Dutch army during the first world war.

As seen in the Dutch Airforce museum. What a great selection of decorations. Dutch, Prussian, Italian, Norwegian.

IPB Image

High Res image's. Photo's are made by a friend of mine. It was difficult because of the glass.

IPB Image

IPB Image

For those that don't recognise the uniform and its medals: it's the uniform of General C.J. Snijders, supreme commander of the Dutch Army in 1914-1918 and founder of the Dutch Army Air Force.

It is missing the Grand Cross star of the House Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau however...

The grand Cross of the golden lion of nassau,

Now it only excist in 1 class, the knight of the order of the golden lion of nassau.

But if I'm correct, this order had to be returned to the crown after deceasal of the receipment??

But yes, one of the few, after many many years, Prof Dr Max van der Stoel was the next receipment of the knight of the order of the golden lion of nassau.

kind regards,

Jacky

The grand Cross of the golden lion of nassau,

Now it only excist in 1 class, the knight of the order of the golden lion of nassau.

But if I'm correct, this order had to be returned to the crown after deceasal of the receipment??

But yes, one of the few, after many many years, Prof Dr Max van der Stoel was the next receipment of the knight of the order of the golden lion of nassau.

kind regards,

Jacky

:shame: Not true: on occassion of the inauguration of H.M. Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands in 1980 the princes Willem-Alexander, Johan-Friso and Constantijn were all decorated with the Knight (1st class) of the House Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau. Also, and these names are not mentioned in the publication by C.P. Mulder and P.A. Christiaans, Prince Bernhard, Princess Juliana and Prince Clause were decorated with this Order.

In 2000 both Max van der Stoel and Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela received the award, signed by Queen Beatrix (and in the case of Mandela, contra-signed by H.R.H. the Grand Duke of Luxembourg). However, during the years, the Grand Duke has made several appointments without a Dutch contra-sign.

So Max van der Stoel was not the first one after Snijders to receive the order, nore was he the first Dutchman to be decorated as such since 1919.

Sources:

- C.P. Mulder/P.A. Christiaans - "Een select gezelschap en een vergeten onderscheiding - Ridders in de Orde van de Gouden Leeuw van Nassau", in 'Jaarboek Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie', part 44, 1990.

- J.P. Kruimel - "Wedergeboorte van de Huisorde van de Gouden Leeuw van Nassau", in Decorare 4, November 2000.

Hello Eric,

You are true that those of the royal household are automatically invested with this order,

but I meant that Max v/d Stoel was the first dutchie to have been invested with the order.

Royal investments aren't really an investment in my opnion, they just get the award.....

Should have been more precise, Max v/d Stoel had been the first Dutchie after general Snijder to be invested with this order....

Kind regards,

Jacky

Hello Eric,

You are true that those of the royal household are automatically invested with this order,

but I meant that Max v/d Stoel was the first dutchie to have been invested with the order.

Royal investments aren't really an investment in my opnion, they just get the award.....

Should have been more precise, Max v/d Stoel had been the first Dutchie after general Snijder to be invested with this order....

Kind regards,

Jacky

They didn't automatically got the Order. As I mentioned it, they were awarded the Order on the occassion of the inauguration of Queen Beatrice. Princess Juliana was awarded the Order for her Grand Mastership of this Order after her abduction (and thus handing over the Grand Mastership to the Grand Duke of Luxembourg). Presumably Prince Bernhard also received the Order at that time.

When or why Prince Clause got the Order I don't know. In any case the Order isn't listed in his list of decorations in the 1987 Nederlandse Staatsalmanak.

In any case: it is how you look at it, in my eyes Max van der Stoel was not the first Dutchman after 1919 to receive the Order.