News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Medaglia Commemorativa della Campagna Fascista 1919-1922

Hello, I would like to know the name of this medal, also what was it given for.

Thank you in advance,

Alex

Hallo Alex, :beer: looks like a Post Ww2, and I suspect an unofficial Italian medal, maybe connected to Mussolini, and the Blackshirts, looking at the fachist salute, will have a look around my reference notes to see what can it be located, can you crop and post clearer pictures, blackish on black background is hard to see :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

post-950-1158337159_thumb.jpg

post-950-1158337159_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Alex, :beer: looks like a Post Ww2, and I suspect an unofficial Italian medal, maybe connected to Mussolini, and the Blackshirts, looking at the fachist salute, will have a look around my reference notes to see what can it be located, can you crop and post clearer pictures, blackish on black background is hard to see :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hi Alex, back again as I suspected an Italian Fachist award, spotted one for sale on Italian ebay, with ribbon, here is the translated Italian description:

"Medal, fascist age, in bronze with ribbon originates them black with fascetta tricolour vertical.

On back, under I, interlace of stiff hands, the maxim, "for Italy hour and always".

Draft of one beautifulst medal in perfect state of conservation and splendid patina."

He is looking for 20 Euro start price :o :

Check it out here:

http://cgi.ebay.it/MEDAGLIA-EPOCA-FASCISTA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Kevin in Deva :beer:

post-950-1158338279_thumb.jpg

post-950-1158338279_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kev in Deva

According to H. Tapprel Dorling's "Medals and Decorations" (p301), there were three "Fascist Medals" instituted by Mussolini. One was for the "march on Rome in October 1922", with a " half claret colour, half yellow ribbon." The second "was apparently awarded for long service in the Militia". Ribbon black with red, white & green edges." There was also a bronze badge for 10 yrs service.

The third, the one you've asked about, "had a black ribbon with a central stripe of red, white and green, and small gilt stars were used on the star when worn alone to denote further periods of service." The illustration in the ribbon chart exactly matches Kev's posted pic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Alex,

Your medal is the "Medaglia Commemorativa della Campagna Fascista 1919-1922", the commemorative medal of the 1919-21 fascist campaign. It was a non-official medal but recipients could and did wear it without any problem.

This medal, awarded either in bronze, silver or silver gilt (the latter two quite rare) could also sport a number of dated ornated bars on its ribbon : "1919", "1920", "1920" and/or "1921".

It was awarded to the first hour fascists, those that supported Mussolini from the start and you should find the maker's initials "S.J." (Stephano Johnson of Milano) at 7 o'clock on the obverse.

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=55886]

• 2 years later...

To all,

To add to the store of pictures here is a nice miniature version of the Commemorative Medal for the Fascist Campaign 'Italy Now and Always' in bronze.

As has been previously stated the medal did come with a number of different dated year bars. This mini has 3 but they are not dated presumably indicating 3 years service sometime between 1919-1922.

More to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

To all,

Here is another nice miniature version of one of the other Fascist medals from the period. It is the Commemorative Medal for march on Rome, type 'E' by Johnson (according to the Brambilla reference). The ribbon is a lovely colour; not quite yellow but more of a mustard colour.

Hope they are of use.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW