News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cased EK1 Maker Marked '4'

DavidM

Hello

I have just got this cased EK1. It is three piece construction, magnetic iron core and marked on the pin '4' for Steinhauer und Luck of Ludenscheid. The cross has been vaulted, but I don't think it was a factory vaulted piece - although the usual crease marks on the rear that normally appear when these are hand vaulted aren't present. Measurements are 43.87mm x 44.11mm. The cross looks like a text book S&L to me, and the case is also an original period piece.

This is only the third 1939 issue EK1 that I have my collection, the other two being an EK1 marked '26' for B H Meyer and an unmarked Rudolph Souval in the rarer green case.

Hope you all like this latest addition.

Thanks.

Edited by DavidM

Very nice earlier EK1 mm 4 !

Have myself the S&L EK2 only , dimple 4.

S&L and others did make early on some vaulted EKs . Hand vaulting was done , but even very little would show signs of it either front or back . Have some pictrures where -Hand Vaulting - has more or less ruined the EK 1! Have you done the -ring or squere test ?

Regards Douglas

Well ...-Ring and Squere Test- is just an a simple name used that describes the shape of the testing device .

The purpose is to see if the arms of the cross are evenly curved , which factory vaulting is .

Some owners will try to vault a cross 'lightly' to get more money for it !! Anything done by hand will never be absolute even . As show by another collector some time ago an uncomplicated thing to compare how even the arms are, all at the same time . Holding the cross one cannot compare arms .

The round one-48mm diameter or 1 15/16"- is easier to get or make but not as acurate as the squere. Do not have one to show.

What is it : a hollow squere that measures 40mm inside with aprox a 5 mm thick edge . The surface is perfectly plane-flat ., hollow as the pin may have to be open most times . The out most edges of all 4 cross arms resting on the edges of the squere . All 4 arms should touch evenly . Any gaps 1/32" or less are acceptible, ... not sure about why this figure ?

If the cross rocks on one or more arms a strong possibilty that the cross may have been hand vaulted and then even more so if an arm shows a radial twist or tilt as well ! Then check surface for other signs .

One can use plastic, wood or metal , A round device only works on some crosses depending how close the hinge block and pin catch are to the edge and the the tips of the arms must touch and rest on the ring !

A straight plastic pipe fitting of the correct size will work on some too or a flat piece of finished wood with the area for the pin assembly carefully cut out , less mobile , may warp but metal best . In a darkened room a small centre light will help with seeing any gaps .

A helpfull tool for the serious EK collectors. He did the test on mine, perfect and the squere was only 2 inch high .

Regards Douglas

Hello

Thanks for the comments. :beer:

I've tried the 'ring / square test' and this EK is very slightly out of true, which would back up my original comment that I didn't think it was factory vaulted. Mind you, it's not much out.

How much out ?

More importantly do the arms touch the surface evenly or only on one point ? May have to hold down the other 3 arms lightly to get the true measurement .

That is why the squere tester is much better but finekey to make .

Heat would damage the paint, repainted to cover this up . Vaulting cold is very hard , arm bends at the narrowest part and solder seam may split there as well . One also come across flat crosses with one uneven arm and a seperated weld possibly indecating an abondoned valting attempt .

Douglas