News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A little something. A little different.

Gentlemen,

Shown below is an item that comes across as unique in several ways. As seen here, we have what appears to be a miniature of the merit medal to the Order of the W?rttemberg Crown with two minor variations.

First, at 25 mm, this is hardly a standard miniature. Whereas the merit medal to the Order of the W?rttemberg Crown was only awarded in gold, this medal is clearly silver. Maybe a ciivl merit medal on the wrong ribbon?

The answer is on the reverse. This is a lapel decoration for the very rare (seven awarded) W?rttemberg 1892 - 1918 large Medal for Arts & Science. Again, the fact that this decoration is silver comes into play because the W?rttemberg 1892 - 1918 large Medal for Arts & Science. W?rttemberg 1892 - 1918 large Medal for Arts & Science was awarded in gold only.

Gentlemen,

I must correct the statement which I made in post #4. The W?rttemberg 1865 - 1892 (Karl) large Medal for Arts & Science shares the same reverse. :blush: I also apologize for the typing error in post #2 which I can not seem to edit and correct. :banger:

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Wild Card,

I'm continually amazed by your rarities...granted, it has no enamel, but I'm still continually amazed. ;) Yet, surely with such a low number awarded, this one's probably attributable?

Best,

Gaffken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gaffken,

I apologize for just now getting back to you on this; but I was away from my computer for a couple of days last week and by the time I got back, this poor little thread had begun it?s drift to oblivion. :blush:

Unfortunately, this medal did not come with a provenance, real or otherwise, and it is not named; so there is no way of knowing to whom this particular one was awarded. :mad: You are so correct when you indicate that you just can?t beat top quality enamel; and yet sometimes, as they say, less is more. One of the absolutely most spectacular pieces I have ever seen is the (similar) Hannoverian large gold medal for arts & science. :love:

Thank you for the compliment. I guess that I have had a tendency to collect the less popular and more obscure items; but they all have a significance and that?s what makes it fun.

Best wishes,

Wild Card :beer:

Edited by Wild Card

A wonderful little rarity. How did you find it?

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the compliment.

This is just great. We?ve managed to hit one of those gaps in my records. I can not say for sure; but as I recall, this one came from a Carsten Zeige?s auction. If I find the incriminating evidence, I promise to let you know.

Best wishes,

Wild Card