News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EKI

Hi Tony,

Could you provide some more information please. Is the cross one-piece or 3-piece? If one-piece, how heavy.

My gut feeling on seeing the reverse hardware was not positive. Very unusual hinge and imo a strange pin, which is not a good fit for the hinge either. There also appears to be some unusual pitting to the obverse and some missing detail to the crown and top left corner of the beading.

Regards

Mike

Hi Tony,

Could you provide some more information please. Is the cross one-piece or 3-piece? If one-piece, how heavy.

My gut feeling on seeing the reverse hardware was not positive. Very unusual hinge and imo a strange pin, which is not a good fit for the hinge either. There also appears to be some unusual pitting to the obverse and some missing detail to the crown and top left corner of the beading.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Are you thinking, artificial patina(chemically applied)?

Mike,

Are you thinking, artificial patina(chemically applied)?

No, it's not really the patina which makes me question it, although from the reverse it does not look like silver as I think I can see a yellowish basemetal bleeding through in patches. The patina is also fairly even. I do have a question over the black finish of the core (the green circle) as there may be a rough remnant finish under a thin black overcoat (or the core is steel and light rust is present under the finish to cause rust "bubbling" - which would be a positive sign).

Initial gut reaction, in the absence of further info (Tony, please prove me wrong), was "casting" - based on ?pitting and poor detail as highlighted in red. The rounded inner courners are also unusual - they show either slightly misaligned frames or a casting seam. That hinge is imo simply not right though - and it does not appear repaired.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your comments so far.

It is 3 pieces with a magnetic core and rust coming up. Before taking the photos I buffed it up a bit. The beeding at the top left looks as though it has been damaged at some point. It weighs 18g.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the additional info. The rust would probably explain most of the obverse "features". For me, the hinge and fit of the pin are still very strange. Any chance there's a repair/replacement there?

Regards

Mike

• 5 months later...