News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Questions on Imperial ribbons mounting plates

David Gregory

While I am usually obsessed with Imperial German documents and, to a lesser extent, low-end awards, I am developing an interest in some of the basic awards bestowed to enlisted men and junior officers who served in the Imperial Russian armed forces until 1917.

From various online resources, I understand that awards such as the St. George cross and medal were often worn on a five-sided mounting plate similar to that still used in Russia today.

What width of ribbon would be used for a pre-1917 award?

I have seen references to ribbons that are 28 mm and 37 mm wide. Were both sizes used in the Imperial era and, if so, when?

Liverpool Medals offers 6 inch lengths of "Imperial Russian Ribbon in original best quality silk" in 28 mm and 37 mm widths at GBP 8 and GBP 12, respectively. Does this price sound reasonable or are there any better sources for replacement ribbons that can be used for displays?

Are original period single, double and triple mounting plates available anywhere to complete single awards and small groups for display purposes? How much would they cost?

I have seen reproduction brass single mounting plates offered on eBay for between $10 and $20, which would seem to be suitable for display purposes. Can anyone recommend a source for them and are original plates available for much the same price?

Many thanks in advance for answers to the questions above and any tips and information on potential sources and prices for medal mounting accessories,

David

• 3 weeks later...

Gerd and Chuck,

Thanks for the tips. I had seen the ribbons offered on eBay and for the price, I think there is little risk when looking for something to be used for display purposes.

As far as I know, the Imperial kolodka mounting plates are wider at the top than their Soviet counterparts, so my question concerning 28 mm or 37 mm wide ribbons still stands.

Perhaps Alexei can help. Is he a member here?

I have a couple of St. George bravery medals that are not mounted and I would like to have the numbers researched and find original (very unlikely) or good replica mounting plates and ribbons to display them.

David