News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tips Appreciated

Ok Guys

How are you attaching medals to the frames?

My way..... drill two holes in the back of the frame (nothing too pricey of course!!) ..... just behind the pin of my russian medals....in comes a length of plastic coated wire (no metal on metal pls!!) from one hole...twists around the pin and comes out of the other hole..... the wire is then tightened gently behind the frame neatly attaching the medal to the frame. Primitive but effective and also does not damage the medal.

BUT ITS RUDDY TIME CONSUMING TO MOUNT AND UNMOUNT!!!! :speechless:

There's gotta be a better way.....I was thinking velcro.....

Any better suggestions Gents....I mean please help me avoid re-inventig the wheel!!!???

Jim

PS nice displays gents.

Guest Darrell

Great displays guys :love: Only problem with myself. If I mounted every medal group or set I have, they'd be on every wall in the house. The wife would say THEM or ME !!! :unsure:

So they would be taken off the walls, taken out of the cases, and put back into the filing cabinets and safes they are in now :(

I need a mansion with a huge Den the size of a small dining room with walls and walls of space :love:

The fastest, easiest and possible best (if you ever want to unmount, move or change medals) is the "pin" method. But this will depend on the type of frame/display case you use. I did this in two of my examples above.

1) The case which holds the 20 medals is simply a "spoon rack" which a local merchant had 3 and was clearing them out (hence, the price was right). I could not pin to the wood so I simply got some cork board, cut it into thin strip, painted them the same (or close to) color of the wood. I then glued (use the correct glue) the strips up under the horizontal wood strats and then once dried, I used small-headed pins and pinned the medals to the cork. I bought a small box of "multi-colored" pins so that the pin head would match the color of the ribbon and blend in. I can add, move or remove medls easily as my collection changes.

2) The second, and sowmewhat simmilar version is the one with the 10 Finnish medals. MUCH EASIER - You can now buy display boxes that you can hang on the wall or place on a shelf like a picture frame. These are hinged so they open easy and the inside backing is "spongy" (for lack of a better term) so that pins can be used. Many come with pins for that very purpose, but I would suggest getting smaller, less conspicuous pins as I described above.

Lots of fun!

Another solution is to buy lottery tickets, win a mansion and then you would have all the space you need. And if the wife kicks you out, then at least you have lots of available rooms while you are in the "dog house".

As you can see, my wife also has expressed concerns of limited wall space :P

Off now to buy those lottery tickets....

:beer:

Well russian medals are trickier to mount in that they come with their 5 sided pin suspension plates! Gerd.....What are you doing?

Pins...is that pinning through the ribbon?? If so its a bit intrusive I'd say....although having said that, I have umounted EK2 I should mount with my EKs.....get them out of their plastic wallets.

On another note.... my suggestions to those of u with wives who beelieve that medals are competition to their beauty.....bigger frames with more medals per frame = less frames around the house and less competition with the wife...... My fave medels are in a frame near the TV. I glance at them more times per evening then I do at my dearest during TV time.... (only during TV!!!....actually medals compete with TV...never with my wife!!) If she knows I actually posted this she'll be on to my cunning scheme. :cheeky:

Kidding!!! Thankfully she has had to come to terms with her boy and his toy(s)!

Jim :cheers:

Jim, i just pin them through the background material. They hold very well and if the fabric is stretched good enough, there aren?t any crinkels. I attach the fabric with very small stripes of both sided duct tape on the reverse of the wood, so, if there?s a need to replace the background, its very easily done.

Great displays everyone, btw :beer:

best,

Gerd