News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New member would like help on WW1 artillery unit

I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone has any information on a WW1 german artillery unit. I have a 1916 dated Luger with the unit marking on the grip strap. On a luger forum the fellas there were nice enough to give me some help as to what the markings represented 1.M.116.50. signifies Field-Artillery-Regiment 116, 1. leichte (light) Munitions kolonne (convoy), Waffe (weapon) Nr. 50.

So the pistol was issued to someone in a light munitions convoy attached to the 116 field artillery regiment. I'm interested to know where this regiment fouht during WW1. And also if it remained intact following WW1 up until WW2. Or was it disbanded after WW1 and then put back into service during WW2.

I have tried to do some research on the web but this can be quite confusing at times. Any information would be very helpful. And this is one heck of a forum, very nice. My wife found it by accident when she was reseaching a WW2 iron cross 1st class that she had picked up as gift for me. I'm glad she did a very informative and interesting site .

I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone has any information on a WW1 german artillery unit. I have a 1916 dated Luger with the unit marking on the grip strap. On a luger forum the fellas there were nice enough to give me some help as to what the markings represented 1.M.116.50. signifies Field-Artillery-Regiment 116, 1. leichte (light) Munitions kolonne (convoy), Waffe (weapon) Nr. 50.

So the pistol was issued to someone in a light munitions convoy attached to the 116 field artillery regiment. I'm interested to know where this regiment fouht during WW1. And also if it remained intact following WW1 up until WW2. Or was it disbanded after WW1 and then put back into service during WW2.

I have tried to do some research on the web but this can be quite confusing at times. Any information would be very helpful. And this is one heck of a forum, very nice. My wife found it by accident when she was reseaching a WW2 iron cross 1st class that she had picked up as gift for me. I'm glad she did a very informative and interesting site .

armybrat43

Welcome to the forum.

I cannot help you with the marking, but if it does refer to Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 116, then the pistol probably spent much of 1917 and 1918 in the Upper Elsace with 26. Landwehr-Division.

The correct abbreviation for a leichte Munitionskolonne would be l.M. (lower-case "L" followed by an upper-case "M").

If the marking contains 1.M., I would guess that it might refer to the 1st machine-gun company of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 116, which was part of 25. Infanterie-Division, serving on the Western Front throughout the war and seeing a lot of action at Verdun in 1916.

Perhaps you can post an image of the marking here and someone better informed than I can determine exactly what you have. I suspect that the interpretation of the marking will depend on correct identification of the first character, i.e. 1 (one) or l (lower-case "L").

David