News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Helmet question

Motorcycle despatch rider's helmet?? (WWII). Paint job - paint sprinkled with sand - is not a factory job but fairly common - probably a field modification as opposed to some collector's idea. But that's my very uninformed (used to know but have forgotten all the details) opinion.

Peter

The helmet is not dispatch rider. The dispatch rider didn't use a three-point chinstrap. This is the paratrooper style system:

IPB Image

There were several different style of liners, and I think the example you posted is 1950s era. This is an example of the dispatch rider liner system:

IPB Image

Edited by Peter_Suciu

The helmet is not dispatch rider. The dispatch rider didn't use a three-point chinstrap. This is the paratrooper style system:

IPB Image

There were several different style of liners, and I think the example you posted is 1950s era. This is an example of the dispatch rider liner system:

IPB Image

I stand corrected, Peter! I thought that the partroop model always had a solid chin cup. My apologies for any msileading I've done

I stand corrected, Peter! I thought that the partroop model always had a solid chin cup. My apologies for any msileading I've done

No harm done. This stuff is very complicated, and as has been touched upon, very little has been written on the subject.

They're actually the same shells. There was a tanker version too that uses the MkII style liner!

The paratrooper chinstraps usually were a solid chin cup, but the dispatch rider had the leather head protection around the lower part of the wearer's head. Must have been damn hot!

It looks like a fairly standard jump helmet with the straps missing.

The linings and straps were regularly removed and swapped around to get a comfortable fit. I remember having a helmet with wartime and post-war parts. They were still being issued in the early 1980s.

David

• 1 year later...
    • 2 months later...

I have several wartime helmets that are more a darker color .They are 2 tankers and a MkIII Infantry ,I was noticing the lack of the upper mounting screws. The tanker shells came in three variants similar inshape , the last has the same pop the dot pin as the MkIV infantry helmet.

I have seen a Canadian made 195 version of these Para helmets.

mark