News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Groups belong together not sold separately!

Two down, just nine (plus) to go! Well done, Alan!!

:beer::jumping:

We have a duty to at least TRY to reunify these split groups. I know of three cases in the last year of reunifying Indian 1914-15 Star WWI trios, one medal at a time. And, if I have joy in an upcoming auction, I shall be reunitying two of (I think) six medals to another IA chap. Bidding six times what it should be may do the trick? (Ouch!)

Still, . . . ! :beer::beer:

The problem is that people can spend a fortune to reunify groups, but what tells you that in the future they won't be sold separately by the future owner. :unsure::hitler:

Absolutely nothing.... I once sold a beautiful group with Lenin and Red Banner, all other decorations, medals and many documents and photos (and his wartime pilot's watch!) that belonged to a wartime Air Force Colonel. It had full research (that I had spent over $150 on!) and was a very nice group. The person that sold me the group was also able to get from the family the man's rabbit-fur lined leather flying gloves. However, Russian customs kept on blocking the gloves from being sent out of the country. I did include them in the price of the group when I sold it (not that they're worth anything anyway) so the buyer expected them.

About a year later, the buyer listed up several documents, photos and all the research from the group for sale by themselves. I blasted the seller publicly (probably not the right thing to have done) on one of the forums for breaking the group up. He told me that the person he later sold the group to didn't want the documents or research, and besides he told me that I had split the group anyway when I failed to send him the flying gloves!!!!! :angry:

Another example was an early war Lenin (screwback) that was a single award with the document. Missing from the group was a long service Red Star, that was it. The Lenin was researched and it came back with the "best citation" that the researcher had EVER seen for combat action! Two years later, a major dealer bought the award by itself and listed it up on his website. No document, no research... it was all GONE. Luckily, I am appreciative to the character of the dealer I sent him scans of the document and the research and he included that with the award... but where did the originals go????????? If I ever find the person that threw out that order book, I might well physically harm them. It was so sad......... :angry::angry::angry:

A third case was a small group that I sold to a well-known collector. A month later, he listed the jubilee medals and documents on eBay. I told him quickly what I thought of that (they were worth maybe $20... why split them up????) He told me all that he wanted from the group was a particular order because it was a rare variation. I convinced him to keep the group together, and he did. Ironically, not only are we friends now, but he is one of the collectors most involved in reuniting groups....Finally, a happy ending! :jumping:

So no, there's no way that you can guarantee what will happen after you sell a group... Almost always it works out, but sometimes it doesn't...

Dave

The good news is that the group in question did go to one buyer. I did the dirty work of being the sole bidder on all items till a 'reasonable' time in Europe.... However, having to travel early I did have to get my beauty sleep but only once I saw another bidder bidding above me on ALL the parts of the group. In any case seeing that it was in good hands I could relax. I am so glad that the damage about to be done by an unscroupulous selller was undone and even if the group rests with someone else....it still is a group! I can live happily with that. :jumping:

Jim