News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rencontre de patrouilleurs, 1916

lazyschnauzer

As the title says, this two figure vignette is taken from a Georges Scott illustration. The action and pose should be self-explanatory. It is in the process of being painted now, so I'm afraid all I have to show you is the putty colors. 120mm scale. Some resin parts from kits. About 80% scratchbuilt.

All the best,

lazyschnauzer

• 4 months later...

Chris and Snoopy: Many thanks fellas! I sculpt and put the models together, but I am not a painter. That is, I could paint it, but I'm a very mediocre painter. Therefore I collaborate with various European and US painters. When I finished this vignette I wanted to try out a Spanish painter that said he was interested in collaborating with me. He had an excellent reputation and had done well in shows and with online reviews.

Unfortunately the poor fella had some family troubles almost immediately after receiving the model. I believe his father became very ill and painting the vignette became (understandably) the last thing on his mind. There are things much more important than figure models. I haven't heard from the painter in quite a while, but I'm always reluctant to query someone in this situation. If he never paints it, c'est la guerre, c'est la vie! There are more where that one came from.

I'm working on a 3 figure vignette of DLI Tommies on the Somme and a single figure 2nd CMR Canadian soldier shoveling.

All the best,

Dan

Hi Dan

I must say that I am very impressed with your figures. They look excellent, even without paint. What kind of putty do you use, when you sculpt your models? Do you model mainly world war one subjects? Personally I build mainly aircraft models. Some day I might have a go at some figures, but figurepainting have allways worried me a bit.

Snoopy

Many thanks for your encouragement! As I mentioned, I'm really just a learner. I use two brands of two part putties specifically made for model-making and sculpting. Pro-create and Magic-sculpt. Pro-create is more flexible and sticky. I use it mixed with MS to do things like field harness or equipment. The majority of every figure is Magic-sculpt.

So far I've done figures of the Great War and the Russo-Japanese and Russo-Turkish wars. My main area of interest is the wars from 1870 - 1930.

One of my problems is I constantly have too many projects underway. I started five mounted WWI cavalry figures - US, German, French, British, and Austro-Hungarian. I've received 3 commissions from a figure NYC collector and have worked my way through two of them. I believe I posted both of them here - a Russian infantryman from 1919 and a British Tommy Lewis gunner in Mesopotamia, 1915. The vignette of three Tommies is the collector's idea and actually, it's a very good one. He wanted me to do three figures from an illustration (don't know the artist) in Eye Deep in Hell by John Ellis. Two Tommies are trying to pull a wounded comrade from a mud hole. The wounded man is up to his waist, weak and unable to get out. The two Tommies have hooked two rifle slings under his arms and then over a rifle one end of which is on each of their shoulders. Got the picture? A crude lever. So they're sliding, losing their footing, moving their boots to a new position and straining every muscle to get their buddy out.

Since I took the photo posted earlier, I've moved the wounded Tommy a lot lower and I've added this and that. Here's another photo. Lots more to do!

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer

Hi Dan

Yes, I remember your russian infantryman. I liked it a lot. You have really put a lot of thaught and research into your vignettes. I like the compositions of the vignettes, and the realistic postures of the figures. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

All the best,

Snoopy