News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I just received this in the mail. I don't have pics. I will try to take some but I am not very good at it.

Please bear with me as I try to describe this item.

It came in a dark red case, case. clasp and hinges are very good, black velvet inside bottom, white inside top., black ribbon retaining strap. Case gold marked Bayr. M.V.O. 4.K1.

The ribbon is correct with the broad white middle followed by thinner royal blue and then black strips on each side. It is soiled (not really bad) and shows the creases from the medal's jump ring.

Now the medal:

gilt is still strong but I think I can see silver shean here and there. (I think gilt tends to exaporate over time.)

the enamel front and back seems perfect. I can see no chips.

the jump ring is marked 900

the reverse of the fitting that holds the swords to the medal is marked 950 on the left and J. L. on the right.

the reverse of the swords on the right is marked J. L. 900

the L with crown on the medallion front and the lion on the back look better than gilted silver.

I know practically nothing about these medals but I think I have a hold of a really nice item.

I very gently used a soft tooth brush to the medal and did take off some slight dust and dirt. Should I attempt to clean anymore?

I really would appreciate your comments on this. I am really tickled pink with it!!!

Thanks,

Rod

Guest Rick Research

"J L" was Jakob Leser-- my favorite maker, at least with real gold centers thanks to their open-work crown:

[attachmentid=63112]

That's a gold center. If you have any doubt, chances are it's a late war silver gilt center.

"J L" was Jakob Leser-- my favorite maker, at least with real gold centers thanks to their open-work crown:

[attachmentid=63112]

That's a gold center. If you have any doubt, chances are it's a late war silver gilt center.

Hi Rick,

Yep sure looks like mine .... open crown and nice solid looking gold. The lion on the reverse is a a beauty too.

Hi Riley,

Ok I will not clean it further!!

Thanks all.

Rod

Edited by Rod

Hummmm I am looking and looking..... sometimes the frame and swords look gold and sometimes silver..... this gilting or gilding is a elusive area. Although the medalion is always a definite GOLD!!!

I see some white powdering so I guess this is deterioration in progress.

In any event I am very pleased.... a beautiful medal!!!

I am wondering if Leser is the preferred maker or is there another....

Sorry to keep going on and on but I am fascinated!!

Let me ask the ultimate question and I realized that price is not always a determinate.

In this day what would be a reasonable price to pay for the item that I have described???

Rod

Hi Rod. To clean, or Not to clean. The age old question. Soft hair brushes, a photographer's lens brush (with the air reservoir), "Canned air"... I don't think I'd go much past that. Enameled surfaces can react strangely and possibly be damaged if you attempt to use any kind of cleaning fluid/cleanser on it.

The Bavarian Military Merit Order, with it's exceptional deep blue enamel, is a beautiful piece from The Imperial German era and one you can be proud to own. Here's an example of the red case Rod is talking about. The Red ones are actually a bit harder to find than the blue!