News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

In this thread I hope we will be able to make an overview of the literature available on the orders and decorations of the pre-imperial German era. By doing this, the gaps in literature will be known and enthusiasts will be able to see where there are possibilities of writing valuable works to fill these gaps. Important to notice is that there are (IMHO) 2 kinds of books about orders: books just describing the decorations (the jewelry of the order if you like) and the recipients of the order. The catalogues of e.g. Nimmergut fill in the gap for the description of the jewelry, or don't they?

Frankfurth, Reichsfreie Stadt (1816-1866), General-gouvernement (1813-1816) and Grossherzogtum (1807-1813)

- Heyden, H. von: Der Condordien-Orden, die Ehrenmedaillen, sowie die Feldzugs- und Dienstalterszeichen des Grossherzogtums, des General-Gouvernements und der freien Stadt Frankfurt, in : Kleine Reihe f?r Freunde der Ordens und Ehrenzeichen-Kunde, No. 11, Hamburg (o.J.). The book does give a list of the Knights of the grandducal Concordia-Orden and the recipients of the Medal of the General-Gouvernement for the 1814 campaign. It also describes the history of the other medals of the several reigns.

Kurhessen (Hessen-Kassel)

General

Sauer, Werner: Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen des Kurf?rstentums Hessen-Kassel, in : Kleine Reihe f?r Freunde der Ordens und Ehrenzeichen-Kunde, No. 7, Hamburg (o.J.).. This book describes the jewelry of the kurhessian orders and decorations. Of the OEH, the jewelry and Knights are described. Furthermore, the book gives the Statuten of all the medals and decorations except for the Militairy and civil service medals 1821-1832. And provides the numbers of awards of the Milit?rverdienstkreuz 1832-1847, 1849-1851 and the Wilhelmsorden (1851-1866). Unfortunately, Sauer does not give the sources he used.

Hausorden vom goldenen L?wen (1770-1866)

I am working on that at the moment.

Orden pour la virtu militaire (equivalent to the prussian OPM)

Losch, P.: Der Orden Pour la Vertu Militaire und seine Ritter in: Zeitschrift des Vereins f?r Hessische Geschichte und Landeskunde, Vol. II., S. 23-62. Kassel (1917). Describing the Knights, not the jewels

Orden vom Eisernen Helm (1814-1816) (equivalent to the prussian EK)

See General.

Oldenburg

Beyreiss, Friedhelm

Preussen

Klenau Arnhard Graf: Die Verleihungen des preussischen Rothen Adler Ordens in der ersten und zweiten Klasse von 1810 bis 1854, (PHV-Verlag). Offenbach (1997). Describing the Knights, not the jewelry

Sachsen, K?nigreich

Roth, Erhard: Die Verleihungen des Hausordens der Rautenkrone, des Verdienstordens, des Verdienstordens mit Schwertern (bis 1914) sowie der Damenorden des K?nigreichs Sachsen, (PHV-Verlag). Offenbach (1998).

I hope you will help me in adding more books and smaller articles. Sould anyone feel obliged to comment on this initiative, be it positive or more with some criticisme, feel free to do so.

Edited by David M

Would anyone know if there are books about the GSF (founded 1732) or the Scharzburg House Order of the honor Cross (founded 1853) for the pre 1871 era?

Thanks a lot

David

Edited by David M

I don't know, but there is a 300 odd page book that's a world wide bibliography of medal books out there. Floyd Johnson et al. just sold it. I'll go dig out the reference.

Found it:

Bibliography of Orders and Decorations by Mulder and Alec Purvis (nice bloke), 321 pp. 1999. softbound

Edited by Ulsterman

I don't know, but there is a 300 odd page book that's a world wide bibliography of medal books out there. Floyd Johnson et al. just sold it. I'll go dig out the reference.

Hi Ulsterman

Would you be able to check the book on literature on the Kurhessian House order of the golden lion as well?

Thanks

David

Hi Ulsterman

Would you be able to check the book on literature on the Kurhessian House order of the golden lion as well?

Thanks

David

Alas, I don't have the book- I was outbid. But Jeff Floyd (get better soon jeff!) will have a copy. I am willing to bet Glenn or somebody else has a copy though.

Sorry.

:unsure:

Try also:

Max Hans' "Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen von Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld und Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha: 1689-1935". (1986), Coburg Copy shop.

Hil Ulsterman

from the description I found on the web, I don;t think there is much detail on the recipients of the O&E of these particular duchies in this book is there?

Regards

David