News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Odd unit mark on DWM 1916 Luger

Daniel Murphy

I have this DWM luger dated 1916 SN 1571 with no suffix. This indicates it was made very early in the year. Part of the unit mark is somewhat odd, "J.R.171.I.B.P.24". This indicates to me that it was issued to some part of the 1st Battailon of Infanterie Regiment 171 and the 24 is the weapon number issued to them. But what the h*ll is that "P" for? :unsure: I have come up with two possibilites (there may be more), the first is "1st Battailon Pioneer detachment"(starting during 1916 infantry battalions were issued with a minenwerfer detachment served by pioneer troops. Although I would have thought it would be marked "MW" instead of "P"). The second is "1st Battailon Patrouillentruppe" (during 1916 infantry units started forming their own assault detachments alternatively known as Stosstruppe, Sturmtruppe and Patrouillentruppe). It is a great piece and I just love unit marked pieces, but this has bugged me for years. Does anyone else have an educated guess?

Dan

DSCN1635.jpg

• 4 weeks later...