News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Automatic Tokarev Rifle, AVT - 40

ksg

Hello

Most of you know the Tokarev SVT- 40 rifle but not so many are familiar whit the ATV- 40.

Made in 1943 to supplement the shortage of light machine guns, but proved to be a disappointment. I was difficult to control on automatic fire and it could even bee a danger to the user. I uses the same bayonet and 10 shot ( 7,62 x 54 R) magazine as the SVT 40. 15 or 20 shot magazine was apparently designed but non are known to have been produced. The production finished the same year as it started. I have not been able to find any production number for it. My have NR. 2183 and are produced at the Tula arsenal. The rifle have never been used and even if i?m tempted to test it, I think I will keep it unused.

Kjell

SVT- 40 and ATV-40, showing the safety, which also acts as a fire selector on the ATV. You can also see the difference on the stocks. The ATV is heavier.

Edited by ksg

That is great!!! :jumping: The AVT40 is the first I have EVER seen! Beautiful piece!

Hi Paul

Mine is the second I have ever seen . Belive it or not, one week after I bought mine, another one was for sale. Both in my local gun shop and from different sources !

One of those weird coincidents !

Kjell

Is it difficult to own automatic weapons in Norway?

It?s very difficult at the moment, the laws have changed several time the last years. The only positive is a, new law will newer swings back at you. If you are a licenced collector and own an automatic gun you bought when it was legal to buy it, you can keep it. The only drawback is, you can?t sell it unless it?s converted to semi automatic or to deactivate it. 6-7 years ago I sold a fully automatic Vickers to a friend, today I can?t buy it back, even though I got another one, also in fully automatic! Logic!??

The only reason today to get a licence for an automatic gun is, if it?s extremely rare, like an FG-42 or a Norwegian WWII produced STEN. There is also a limit on how many guns you can own as a collector, today it?s 120 + you can apply for 10 more to?complete your collection.

There are some rumors about another law, making it possible again, to obtain every automatic gun in your field of collecting, but.. I don?t belive it, before I see it.?

Regards,

Kjell

Kjell,

When the Russian surplus Tokarevs started being imported into this country, I bought one and found that it was a converted AVT. It had the stock with two safety cutouts and all. It had been converted to Semi auto and the safety lever only turned one way. I sold it a few years later and wish I still had it, it would probably worth some good money to a serious collector. You have a nice piece, you should take it out and fire it just once. :jumping:

Dan

Kjell,

When the Russian surplus Tokarevs started being imported into this country, I bought one and found that it was a converted AVT. It had the stock with two safety cutouts and all. It had been converted to Semi auto and the safety lever only turned one way. I sold it a few years later and wish I still had it, it would probably worth some good money to a serious collector. You have a nice piece, you should take it out and fire it just once. :jumping:

Dan

Hi Dan

I'm always thinking it?s more valuable if its unused, but I?m not going to sell it so.....If I?l test it I will post picture here.

Kjell

• 2 weeks later...

Commonly the AVT does not have the grooves either side of the reciever for the scope mount.

Thanks for pointing this out. Here is a picture showing the difference.

Kjell

Another (textbook) difference is the muzzle break/ flash hider. The ATV having four horizontal openings instead of the normal six vertical slots. I can only show the first one because my ATV have the same. (Looking for a replacement...?)