News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Bernie,

In answer to your question concerning Dr. Nordewin Diest-Koerber. I was unable to find him listed in Walther-Peer Fellgiebel's book, but he is listed in von Seeman's. He is also listed as a member of the OdR and his wartime rank as a Hauptmann d.R. and his award date as 1.5.45. If memory serves me right, there were some late war awards that were questioned by the OdR. The autographed photograph he sent to me does not show him wearing the Knights Cross. I hope that this is of some help.

Regards,

Dick

Thanks Dick. I suspected that the late date of the award may have precluded him from being on the official list of winners. Do you by chance have the details of the award? I am specifically wondering if it was awarded for the actions around Budapest in late 44 or early 45. On an outside chance, would you have the number of his tank and also if it was a Tiger or Tiger II?

Bernie

Dick, your help is nonetheless much appreciated.

While doing searches on the net, I did find sporadic information about Diest-K?ber. One site that I found is, unfortunately (for me) in Czech. I wonder if any of the Czech speaking members could review the site and provide me with the following information if it is there. I am interested in knowing what actions led to his awarding of the Knight's Cross on 5.1.45. Also, it appears that the Tiger II shown was Diest-K?ber's. Is this correct?

http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/10666/view/next

Bernie,

I translated this from this Website: http://panzer-archiv.de/forum/viewtopic.ph...c3f5fe64cc7c888

Dr. Nordewin von Diest-Koerber

born: February 13 1912 Koererrode near Graudenz

His birth name was von Koerber. In 1923 von Diest-Koerber was adopted by his maternal Grandfather, which name he took. He went to school in Bromberg and graduated 1930 in Stettin. Von Diest-Koerber then studied Acri-and Silvaculture in Potsdam, Heidelberg, M?nchen and K?nigsberg. By1939 he served already for one year as a volunteer in the Reiter Regiment 4 Potsdam (later Pz Rgt 6 Neuruppin). Dr. Nordewin took part in the polish campain as a Leutnant d. R. and Zugf?hrer in the Panzer-Rergiment 6. In the Campain against France he led a Kompanie. In 1941 he was severly wounded on the russian front (September 1941) after his recovery (Fall 1942) he was promoted to a staff position with the 3.Panzer-Armee. In 1943 he was trained to operate the new Tiger tank and in the Fall of 43 transfered to sPzAbt. 509, were he first served as Kompanief?hrer and later as Abtl.-F?hrer. In Nov 1944 von Diest-Koerber served as Hauptmann d.R. with the sPzAbt. 503 in Hungary Austria and Czech. after being wounded seven times he received the Wound badge in gold. He was also awarded the German Cross in Gold, Panzerkampfabzeichen II. Stufe and the Knight"s Cross (Mai 01 1945) He was released from PoW camp in July 1945.

Regards, Hardy

Ernst Nordewin von Diest-Koerber got a Dr. in agriculture from the University of K?nigsberg on 11/12/1939. His dissertation thesis was titled "Untersuchungen ?ber die M?glichkeiten zur Steigerung des prozentischen Fettgehalts in der Milch bei Niederungsk?hen" - how to make cows have more fat in their milk.