News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Researched Red banner to a Sergeant of the 41st NKVD Army Regiment for the defence of the Voronezh front

Here is one of the first items I have asked research for my collection. I already have 2 complete groups that were previously researched, but this time it was my turn to order some research. This one is the more exciting of both researches I have ordered. The other one is not that exciting.

Here is my sloppy translation I have made before to go to bed. I'll need your help to replace my ??? please. ;)

First of all, here is the Red banner I have asked research.

Red Banner screwback T2 V2 #38786

Award card :

1. Last Name : Dolgov

2. Name and Patronymic : Boris Vladimiriovitch

3. Military Rank : Sergeant

4. Sex : Man

5. Year of birth : 1916

6. Place of birth : Nikitovka village, Nikitovskogo Raion, Kursk Oblast

7. Party membership : accepted in the CPSU since 1943

8. Education : 8th Class, secondary

9. Nationality : Russian

10. Service in the Red Army : since 1941

11. Place of service and duty position at time of awarding : 41st Regiment of Military NKVD for the defense of the rear/bases, Voronezh front as an assistant commissar for political work

12. Place of service and duty position at the current time : 290th Motor Rifles "Novorosenisky", Regiment of the Armed Forces MVD

13. Home Address: City of Kiev, 71 Ulitsa Konstantinovskaya, House No. 4.

Edited by Soviet

Citation

My sloppy translation. I swear my translation is better in French. :rolleyes:

В боях с фашистами за город Воронеж показал себя мужественным и отважным бойцом. 6 раз ходил в разведку.

В период боя эа парк культуры и отдыха 14.7.42г. пробрался в тыл к немцам и брошенными тремя гранатами и огнём из автомат обратил в бегство 25 Немецких солдат при этом уничтожил изних 13 фашистов с ручным пулеметом Всего за июльские бои с немцами за город Воронеж Долгов уничтожил 21 фашиста.

During the combats for the city of Voronezh against the fascists, he was recognized for his courage. He went 6 times on recognition. After the combat period while Germans were taking a rest at the Kulturny Park on July 14th 1942, he came from the back, threw 3 grenades and opened fire with his automatic weapon. 25 Germans ran out and 13 were killed with his machine gun. During the operation against the Germans in the city of Voronej, Dolgov killed 21 fascists in July.

Edited by Soviet

Guest Rick Research

6) Nikitovskogo Raion

7) belonged to/accepted in the CPSU since 1943

11) when decorated he was in 41st Regiment of Military NKVD for the defense of the rear/bases (best translation is the French/German "Etappen") Voronezh front as an assistant commissar ("Poltruda-- for political work")

12) 270th Motor Rifles "Novorosenisky" (if I am reading that correctly-- it is an honorific name given to this unit for some battle there) Regiment of the Armed Forces MVD ( so interior TROOPS and not police) "UO" I don't know, but in job as electrical mechanic

13) City of Kiev address 71 Ulitsa Konstantinovskaya, House No. 4.

Final approval (after that of Major General of Military NKVD for Guarding Etappe, Pankin) was by commander of the front, Lieutenant General N. VATUTIN, who was ambushed by Ukrainian partisans and killed in the village of Miliatin on 29 February 1944-- possibly the senior Soviet General killed by former Soviet subjects fighting for the Germans..

EXCELLENT citation for a reconnaissance NCO when a Red Banner REALLY meant something!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks Rick for filling my blanks!!!

Not that easy to read for me when it's not typed!

I'm very happy with the story behind this Red Banner. This NCO didn't get a lot of medals, maybe he was later wounded during the war. No idea, I haven't ordered the service record for him.

Thanks again! I'll update my post.

Guest Rick Research

I do not think there ARE service records for non-commissioned personnel, and he was in the NKVD/MVD anyway, which would exclude finding anything more at Podolsk. So you'v got 'all there is" to be found. :beer: