News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Letters From Iwo Jima

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Hope no one minds me popping this in here but as I think it will be of interest to those in this section I thought I'd go ahead. Was afraid many might not see it down in the Cinema section. I don't have a specific link... but you might want to check out the trailer for the new Clint Eastwood movie coming out. It's the sequel to Flags Of Our Fathers and is called Letters From Iwo Jima. It's the battle seen from the eyes of the Japanese, both an officer and an enlisted man and from what I can see it's going to be in Japanese for the most part with sub titles. Looks good from what I've seen.

I saw it on the main MSN page which has all the news and such. Go to the entertainment section, click on the first article and then look to the right of that page that comes up and you should see some trailers, one of which will hopefully be for this one depending on when you look. Or do a general search for Letters From Iwo Jima trailer and hopefully you'll luck out.

I haven't see the first one yet but definitely want to... especially as I definitely want to see this one.

Dan

I think we have reached a point where it is finally possible for us to make a film which shows "the other side" as being human and subject to the same fears and emotions as soldiers on "our side". I am looking forward to it. The fact that Clint Eastwood is involved makes me hope that it will be a decent film, not some U-571 crap.

I think we have reached a point where it is finally possible for us to make a film which shows "the other side" as being human and subject to the same fears and emotions as soldiers on "our side". I am looking forward to it. The fact that Clint Eastwood is involved makes me hope that it will be a decent film, not some U-571 crap.

Yes, Hollywood (which is a state of mind, not a place in America) has apparently recently discovered that both sides of almost every war are fought by real people, not "our guys" vs faceless hordes of (insert racial/political term of choice here).

I'm always glad, as a history teacher and amateur military historian, when audiences figure this out but at the same time usually saddened that it seems to be such a stunning revelation to so many apparently intelligent people! But then, I guess that's what education is about, no?

Peter

Yes, Hollywood (which is a state of mind, not a place in America) has apparently recently discovered that both sides of almost every war are fought by real people, not "our guys" vs faceless hordes of (insert racial/political term of choice here).

I'm always glad, as a history teacher and amateur military historian, when audiences figure this out but at the same time usually saddened that it seems to be such a stunning revelation to so many apparently intelligent people! But then, I guess that's what education is about, no?

Peter