News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pin replacement for 1939 EKI, (fix it or not?)

Hello to everyone and a Merry Christmas

My wife gave m a 1939 EKII with issue packet and a1939 EKI for a gift. The EKII and packet are in excellent condition maker marked on the ring 25. and came from a german soldiers estate. The EKI is in good confition and is maker marked L/19 on the bottom under where the hook would be. The EKI is missing the complete pin and hook, the base where they were attached is still present. And it appears that the pin and hook may have been intentionally removed. I'am debating weather to replace the pin and hook or leave the cross as it is. I would like some advice on doing this or not. And my other question is what reason would someone have to remove the pin and hook to begin with? Thanks for any help on this.

Guest Darrell

I was wondering when someone would say "My Wife bought me this or that ..."

C'mon now .... fess up .... you bought it, told her to wrap it for you and acted surprised this AM ... right?? :rolleyes::cheeky:

Congrats anyway .... beats socks :unsure:

Edited by Darrell

I was wondering when someone would say "My Wife bought me this or that ..."

C'mon now .... fess up .... you bought it, told her to wrap it for you and acted surprised this AM ... right?? :rolleyes::cheeky:

Congrats anyway .... beats socks :unsure:

To be honest, no she bought them both, and a 1937 S/42 luger and holster with loading tool. She is one great lady, wouldn't trade her ( :lol: or rent) for nothing.

And I was leaning the same way as far as leaving the cross the way it is. She was the one that brought up the idea of having it repaired. She kind of looks at the medals in my collection as being jewelry or something. It's not like I will be pinning it on myself. Thanks for the info, and yes, it beats socks for sure :lol: I will post some pictures of both the EKI and II as soon as time permits me to.

Edited by armybrat43

Guest Darrell

To be honest, no she bought them both, and a 1937 S/42 luger and holster with loading tool. She is one great lady, wouldn't trade her for nothing.

And I was leaning the same way as far as leaving the cross the way it is. She was the one that brought up the idea of having it repaired. She kind of looks at the medals in my collection as being jewelry or something. it's not like i will be pinning it on myself. Thanks for the info

Whenever the wife looks at my collection (and the accompanying spreadsheet listing prices), she forms this little sly grin ... hmm ... better go check what's she's pouring into my soup .... brb ... :speechless1:

Whenever the wife looks at my collection (and the accompanying spreadsheet listing prices), she forms this little sly grin ... hmm ... better go check what's she's pouring into my soup .... brb ... :speechless1:

Spreadsheet ? I have never kept one of these, but it sounds like a good idea. How would you go about making one up for a collection? I have been collecting since 79 . I really wouldn't know how to go about putting a value on many of my items. Some of the items I found in old bunker complexes. Would you be willing to give some pointers on how you would go about starting one?

Guest Darrell

Spreadsheet ? I have never kept one of these, but it sounds like a good idea. How would you go about making one up for a collection? I have been collecting since 79 . I really wouldn't know how to go about putting a value on many of my items. Some of the items I found in old bunker complexes. Would you be willing to give some pointers on how you would go about starting one?

Just use Excel. I put the description in rows on the Left and Dollar amounts in a cell to the right. Really quite simple and archaic looking, but gets the job done. I first started not for keeping a dollar amount, but rather to keep track of the medals I had. Made the mistake once of buying a medal I already had in my collection :rolleyes:

Then afterwards, I needed something to keep a running total for insurance reasons OR for the wife to have some type of idea what this stuff was worth in case I kicked the bucket.

:jumping: That's an EXCELLENT idea!!! :jumping: I am working on an Inventory of my medals. My insurance agent is coming over to take pics of them and would like to know an average value of the collection for total replacement. I'm also working on a CD-Rom of my documented groups with all medals (Obverse & Reverse), serial numbers, name of recipients and scans of All award documents. I'll add a numismatic description of the medal(s) and general condition of the Group or Medal. I've started with one of my South African Air Force mechanics group. I'll post the page when I finish it.

:beer: Doc

Guest Rick Research

I'd say leave it be. A period repair or alteration by the original wearer would be one thing (there are a heck of a lot of BEAT UP 1914 EK1s with 25+ years of wear on them). Otherwise anything you do will simply be worse. There would be no increase in value, and probably a drop. Use that one as display, as is.