News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello

My research guy feels it is possible the award book is a put together. But he is not sure until he has research done.

What do you all think? I have asked what he means exactly by that, to explain it further.

In looking at it the first 6 awards the serial # looks like it they all entered at the same time as the writing looks the same as does the ink. Is that possible?

IMHO the first six serial numbers were entered by the same person. I base this on a Analysis of the numbers. There are matches with the numbers 2,4,6,8,9 & 0 among these first six entries. The ink used to make the entries appears to have come from the same pen.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

I don't mind it, but that's because I have seen this group for sale over the years and it has the same awards with none added or none missing. Of course, that's not an "exact" theory, but I'm pretty comfortable with it. The Homeland 3rd number looks a little funky though. However, all the other awards make sense for a WW2 fighter pilot. When the research comes back, we'll see! :beer:

Dave

I don't mind it, but that's because I have seen this group for sale over the years and it has the same awards with none added or none missing. Of course, that's not an "exact" theory, but I'm pretty comfortable with it. The Homeland 3rd number looks a little funky though. However, all the other awards make sense for a WW2 fighter pilot. When the research comes back, we'll see! :beer:

Dave

Hi Dave

Lets say the Homeland 3rd was added. Just for argument sake.

What would be the point of adding some thing to the award book if it is missing from the group anyways?

Hi Dave

Lets say the Homeland 3rd was added. Just for argument sake.

What would be the point of adding some thing to the award book if it is missing from the group anyways?

For a Homeland 3rd, there's really no point. AND, that serial number was part of the 1976 awardings of the Homeland 3rd, so chances are he got it as an old Colonel.

I've owned several order books with higher awards (Suvorov, BK, etc.) as some people think that adds a lot to a group, even if they aren't there, but to just add a Homeland 3rd... It doesn't add much. I'm guessing it's real, though from the scan (playing devil's advocate here) it looks like the number may have been altered at some point though.

Dave

For a Homeland 3rd, there's really no point. AND, that serial number was part of the 1976 awardings of the Homeland 3rd, so chances are he got it as an old Colonel.

I've owned several order books with higher awards (Suvorov, BK, etc.) as some people think that adds a lot to a group, even if they aren't there, but to just add a Homeland 3rd... It doesn't add much. I'm guessing it's real, though from the scan (playing devil's advocate here) it looks like the number may have been altered at some point though.

Dave

Well lets hope it has not been messed with, as I would not be too happy about that.

COLONEL FROLOV, MIKHAIL ALEXEEVITCH (8 awards):

Hero of the Soviet Union Gold Star Medal (T2, s/n 8690

HI RON

IT IS ORIGINAL BOOK AND HE RECIVED ALL THESE AWARDS

CONGRATS WITH VERY NICE GROUP

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH RESEARCH PLEASE LET ME KNOW

THANK YOU

ALEX

HI RON

IT IS ORIGINAL BOOK AND HE RECIVED ALL THESE AWARDS

CONGRATS WITH VERY NICE GROUP

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH RESEARCH PLEASE LET ME KNOW

THANK YOU

ALEX

Is it normal to see the first six awards all written in the same hand and same ink. Would he have been given all those awards at once?

IMHO, this book is original and problems-free document.

First several awards listed in the book has been entered with the same handwriting, because it was made by the same person. Frolov received his war-time awards together with temporary certificates, which was a common practice during GPW. Only when the war was over, those certificates were exchanged for the orderbooks. Most of the exchanges happened during 1945-47. Normally the officer gave all his temporary certificates to the military clerk of his unit (or to the military clerk in local VOENKOMAT in case he was already retired from military service). This clerk transferred all award numbers from certificates to the orderbook, that's why handwriting is the same. At the same time this clerk filled out the Award Card. If you compare the handwriting on award cards and orderbooks you can find them to be the same in many cases.

About the "Service to the Motherland" order... Well, if you open the book about HSUs and find Frolow there, you can see that he was awarded with this order. If the number is original we can tell only after his award card would come.

IMHO, this book is original and problems-free document.

First several awards listed in the book has been entered with the same handwriting, because it was made by the same person. Frolov received his war-time awards together with temporary certificates, which was a common practice during GPW. Only when the war was over, those certificates were exchanged for the orderbooks. Most of the exchanges happened during 1945-47. Normally the officer gave all his temporary certificates to the military clerk of his unit (or to the military clerk in local VOENKOMAT in case he was already retired from military service). This clerk transferred all award numbers from certificates to the orderbook, that's why handwriting is the same. At the same time this clerk filled out the Award Card. If you compare the handwriting on award cards and orderbooks you can find them to be the same in many cases.

About the "Service to the Motherland" order... Well, if you open the book about HSUs and find Frolow there, you can see that he was awarded with this order. If the number is original we can tell only after his award card would come.

Thank you for the clarification :jumping:

It is much appreciated.

Happy New Year