News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Patriotic War of 1812 Medal

Jaybo

Happy New Year to all forumites out there around the globe!

Can anyone kindly inform me the difference (besides size, metal and ribbon style) between the larger, silver combattant's Russian Patriotic War of 1812 medal and the smaller, bronze 'cavalier' version of same? Was it strictly a matter of the latter going to members of the cavalry versus the infantry, artillery,etc.? Or was it not even a military award at all (like the larger bronze versions going to civilians)? Thanks for your help!

Jaybo

Happy New Year to all forumites out there around the globe!

Can anyone kindly inform me the difference (besides size, metal and ribbon style) between the larger, silver combattant's Russian Patriotic War of 1812 medal and the smaller, bronze 'cavalier' version of same? Was it strictly a matter of the latter going to members of the cavalry versus the infantry, artillery,etc.? Or was it not even a military award at all (like the larger bronze versions going to civilians)? Thanks for your help!

Jaybo

Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll become an active member, share your collectibles with us and learn along with us.

According to Russian and Soviet Military Awards by V. A. Durov:

A) The large silver medals (it shows three different medals), designed by F. P. Tolstoy, were commemoratives. It doesn't mention to whom they were presented.

B) The smaller silver medal was awarded to "participants in battles". The accompanying text says that it was "... it was intended for all those who had been in action".

C) The bronze version of the small silver medal was for "noblemen and merchants". According to the text, "... for noblemen, merchants and clergymen who had not taken immediate part in the warfare".

Good to have you here. Enjoy.

Chuck

Welcome to the forum.

"The orders, Medals and history of Imperial Russia" by prince Dimitri Romanov

States The silver and bronze 28mm

Silver awarded to military personnel all ranks.

Bronze to Noblemen and Merchants for active participation in the war of 1812.

Clergy awarded the commemorative Cross of 1812

George

Hello to Chuck/George/Doc,

Thanks for the replies and welcome. I have posted rarely in the past but often visit. If your anything like me by having several interests in this hobby, this site is wonderful.

Gentlemen, I have both the Durov and Prince Romanov books and am familiar with the info that you have so kindly posted. However, my question remains as to the so-called 'cavalier' version in bronze. My suspicion is that it is a non-military award given the bronze metal and St. Vladimir ribbon. However, it 'is said' to have been awarded to cavalrymen which would obviously infer it was a military award. But was that actually the case? Any Russki 'experten' out there?

All the best,

Jay