News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian medal

Jef

Dear Gents,

When I found this medal, the ribbon was poorely sewn onto the cross. Normally another ribbon suits the medal. I have been looking in ribbon charts, but I wasn't unable to ID the ribbon ( colours of Hungaria??). Is there anyone out there who knows this ribbon?

Wish you all a pleasant Year's end, and a great start of 2007. :beer:

jef

Dear Gents,

When I found this medal, the ribbon was poorely sewn onto the cross. Normally another ribbon suits the medal. I have been looking in ribbon charts, but I wasn't unable to ID the ribbon ( colours of Hungaria??). Is there anyone out there who knows this ribbon?

Wish you all a pleasant Year's end, and a great start of 2007. :beer:

jef

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2006/post-761-1167509479.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2006/post-761-1167509496.jpg

Hallo Jef :cheers:

it might have been originaly the ribbon for:

Orders and Medals of the Kingdom of Hungary 1918-1944

Tiszti Szolg?lati Jel

Officer Long Service Decoration (35, 25, 15 yrs) (1922)

or

Leg?nys?gi Szolg?lati Jel

Private's Long Service Decoration (20, 10, 6 years) (1922)

see the great webpages at: http://www.medals.lava.pl/hu/hu2.htm

Under the title of:

Orders and Medals of the Hungarian Republic 1945-1949

it is also the ribbon for:

Magyar Szabads?g ?rdemrend bronz fokozata

Hungarian Order of Freedom - bronze (1946)

Magyar Szabads?g ?rdemrend ez?st fokozata

Hungarian Order of Freedom - silver (1946)

Kevin in Deva :D

Guest Rick Research

Probably Italian. The red and green are the opposite of the medals for United Italy, not sure what it is. But try Italian.

The proportions are not correct for anything Hungarian. Hungary used 40mm wide trifold ribbons.

The proportions are not correct for anything Hungarian. Hungary used 40mm wide trifold ribbons.

Except for the 1946 Freedom Medal Magyar Szabads?g ?rdemrend bronz & silver fokozata. The initial version was not a trifold and was awarded to only 500 folks in 1946. Another stirke in 1947 was with the trifold. Also firemans medals of the communist era do also come with straight ribbon. Even the first form (1951) of the firemans medal under the communist rule even came with a five sided Soviet style!

It is the Hungarian Long Service Decoration for Soldiers (Leg?nys?gi Szolg?lati Jel) 3rd Class (for 6 years of service) on the early ribon of the Order of Freedom, so it proably dates back to the times right after 1946. Ribbons of both awards used the same color pattern. Interesting mounting, probably home-made. Hunyadi is right! Here is a photo of the order from the excellent Hungarian website http://www.akm.externet.hu/rendjel/adatok/tildy.htm

Great New Year 2007 to all of you too!!! :beer:

Lukasz

szab0.jpg

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

The interesting history of the Freedom Medal is that the fisrt form was discontinued as the face looke to many to be the face of Jesus Christ - not the freedom fighter Kossuth Lajos of 1848 fame. How could Christ be a symbol of liberation the Hungarians under Soviet occupation thought? Also the long service cross is for the 1911-1918 period not the Royal Hungarian period (1922-44). There were no long service awards with dates until 1964 (!).