News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Krupp Field Gun

This piece has been sitting in a park near my home since as long as I can remember. The plaque explains it was captured and brought back here to Newfoundland after the First World War. It is now painted a diffrent color than it used to be. The breech is stamped Frederick Krupp, Essen 1917. I know it's German from this alone. I looked up some information years ago and it seemed to fit the description of a fairly rare artillery piece. Does anyone know what type of piece this is?

Yes. there should be a piece or tail at the end of the gun. Wonder what happened to the other 3 of them.

I think its a big brother to this Krupps Mountain Gun from WW1, this example with the pre WW2 Romanian Mountain-troops.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Yes. there should be a piece or tail at the end of the gun. Wonder what happened to the other 3 of them.

There was a First World War gun at a American legion post near me but during WW II it was donated to one of the many scrap drives or so the story goes. A Second World War gun now occupies the same spot on the legion lawn. Its hard to know how many items were either melted down when they were needed elsewhere or dumped in the ocean when they became obsolete. I remmember hearing of hundreds of German 08's and 08/15 MG's begin dumped after the First World War. :banger: