News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I am no doubt way off base with this ... but:

I notice that many of the Bavarian MVOs look like silver! I thought they were all gilt silver.

I recently bought a 4th class and the finish looked very "dirty" especially the flames. I very very very carefully brushed with a soft tooth brush. Well, the "dirt" easily came off which made the finish (especially on the flames) look silver with only hints of gold.

In looking at posted pics its seems like most of the MOVs look very dark just like the one I just got. Some are advertised as silver! Are these really incorrectly cleaned gilt silver items?

Other gilt silver medals that I have seen hold on to the gold finish very well.

Is there something peculiar with the MVOs or am I all wet (the usual state for me). ha ha

Thanks,

Rod

MVO 4 is silver

MVO 3 is gilded silver, separate flames

Swords may be added to each

(Bavarian Military Merit Order)

MVK3 is copper

MVK2 is silver

MVK1 is gold

(Bavarian Military Merit Cross of the Military Merit Order)

Guest Rick Research

So Rod, now that you're hooked :rolleyes:

which maker made your MVO4X? The marks are either on the backs of the swords or the lower back/ underside of the bottom arm.

Gold centers or gilt? (That's the only place gold/gilding is on a 4th Class) Open obverse center crown or closed?

:unsure:

PS Nobody can have just ONE. There are so many variations, just for WW1. And they are so :love:

Feelin' the fever of Incredible Translucent Blue Enamel yet? :cheeky:

Rick:

Weeelllll ..... the ring is marked 900 (hard to make out), the swords are marked 900 and J. L. (Jakob Lesser I think), the back of the medal attachment is marked 950 and J. L. again..........great ribbon and a reddish case!!!!

Real Gold center with open crown (the darn lion seems to dance if you watch him real close)!! ha ha

No scratches on the enamel that you could darn near dive into and swim!!

I think ( might be wrong again) the hint of gold I see could be tarnish on the silver.

I am in love..... :love:

Rod :jumping:

Edited by Rod

MVO 4 is silver

MVO 3 is gilded silver, separate flames

(Bavarian Military Merit Order)

No, MVO 3 is GOLD! Only crosses awarded between 1917 until the end of WW1 were silver gilt. And not ONE MVO 3rd class WITHOUT swords was made in silver gilt.