News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian Civil Service or German Court Sword?

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Okay, gotta try my hand at recreating this one. Seems there was a bit of a glitch in the system during a transfer here from another area and the post got lost in the translation. So we'll give it another shot.

Not sure which this is... or if there's another possibility. This one was a gift from an old friend many many many many moons ago! Seems like lifetimes actually. Supposedly it was found in a house after a fire. But there's not really any sign of any fire damage. The leather is showing it's age but nothing major... just what would be expected in some cases with it's age... which I'm assuming goes back to at least the WWI era if not earlier.

I'm not positive but now that I think about it I think there's a purple satin sword bag this came in. Not sure if it's original to the piece or not. I'll see if I can dig it up and do some pics but it may be packed away in storage. Haven't thought about it in a long time.

But for now... here's the sword:

Full view in scabbard:

I believe I'd done the flip side as well but when we downloaded the pic wasn't there. It's basically the same just without the clip(?)... but if needed I'll be happy to dig stuff out again and redo the pic. But as far as the brass parts of the scabbard you pretty much see everything in my other views so hoping that'll do the trick.

It's hard to get it all the way in the scabbard due to the next bit:

I'll show the other side of that in a sec but looks like RR door dings. ;)

And then the other side of things:

And the other side with more dings:

Closeup of the maker:

Here's some shots of the other markings:

Both sides of the hilt:

And some final shots of the full sword out of the scabbard:

Would love to know more about it so keeping my fingers crossed that some of you might have run across one of these before.

Mucho thanks for stopping by to take a peek. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Here you go, Dan: a comparison between your sword and a Prussian civil service sword from the W K & C catalogue. Of course there will be slight differences from maker to maker, but the two are very similar in design.

Hi John,

Wow... pretty darned near identical if you ask me! :jumping::jumping: Any idea of the time frame for it? How about value? I'm always a bit curious about that as I always try to keep Kim and Nick abreast of such things "just in case". Although I'm hoping the collection will continue to be handed down but I do like them to know what potential treasures they're sitting on... as well as any duds. :cheeky:

Thanks so much for the help on this one. Didn't take you long to nail it down at all. But it's yet one more example of the miracles performed by our terrific membership at the GMIC. :beer::jumping:

Dan :cheers: