News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Badge-Please help identify it

Jeff,

I was told by the vendor this was a Hungarian badge but I have never seen a badge that looked like this one. Were you thinking of any badge in particular? If so, which one?

Chris,

I have asked for a photo of the back and I'll post it as soon as it comes. I've also asked if there are any maker marks on the back.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Regards,

Gordon

Hallo Gordon :cheers:

With regards the bird symbol on the Hungarian badge it can be found on some WW1 era patriotika stuff as well.

I believe the bird is a depiction of the mythical Hungarian Turul:

In the legends Turul is mentioned at least twice to shape the fate of the Hungarians: the first time Emese, mother of ?lmos had a dream where a Turul appeared, impregnated her and told her that her child was going to be the father of a great nation.

The second time, the leader of the Hungarian tribes had a dream where eagles attacked their horses and a Turul came and saved them, to symbolise that they have to move, and when they did, the Turul helped them to show the way, basically helping them to find the land of Hungary.

There were three Turul statues in Greater Hungary (before the country had its borders reconfigured by the treaty of Trianon): one still visible on the mountain next to Tatab?nya, Hungary. It is said to be the largest bird statue in Europe; the wingspan of the Turul is almost 15 meters.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Kevin,

Thanks for the pictures of the badge. Very interesting. Austro/Hungary WWI is certainly outside my knowledge at the moment, especially as it applies to patriotic stuff, but I am doing my best to catch up on the subject. I am familiar with the Turul. I live in Budapest and see the one in the Castle Dsitrict regularly. The thing I find curious in these two badges is that the Turul is facing to the left wing. The more common way for the Turul to be depicted is to have the head facing the right wing. IE as in the statue you refered to. Of course, that doesn't mean the artist can not depict the bird anyway they want to. Thanks again for your input.

Regards,

Gordon