News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victorian & Edwardian Miltary "Scraps" - Cut Out Paper Soldiers.

I've collected these for some years, not spending too much on them - if a mint condition one costs ?50 & a tatty one costs ?5, I'll get the tatty one.

They would make excellent backing displays to medals & badges of the time, or model or toy soldiers or model figurines, prhaps superimposed on a matching black & white photo of the time.

This is the Drum Major of the Royal Marine Light Infantry, about 5 inches tall, this & the following one turned up at christmas, bought for me by the in-laws.

They are superb. What's the history? i.e. Who, when, why etc.

If you see any Dorsetshire Regt. or indeed any RMA or RMLI give me a shout.

Think it's 13th as they had buff collars according to the 1901 Dress Regs.

Edited by Jim Maclean

Will do, I have a few of RMLI, RMA & RN, but I think I gave away all my duplicates a few years ago to a mate in Sweden.

I've never got into discovering who actually produced these things, they were churned out back in the days when adults as well as children collected these paper scraps of virtually anything - birds, flowers, animals, sweetheart motifs, all kinds of subjects.

They gave their name to "scrapbooks" & you find them applied to things like lampshades & stuck down on enamelled kitchen ware, layers of clear varnish built up over the top.

I always remember going to the local cinema in the 60s, 2/6 off Dad, anything unspent at the cinema was spent in a glory hole called The Old Curiosity Shop with a wonderful old chap by the name of Mr Poole. He had drawers and drawers full of army cap badges, old silks, Khaki slip on titles, embroidered titles all I suspect the real deal. He had one really expensive badge which was circular with 1LG 2LG GG...........get the drift? He wanted a whole 5 bob for that and I didn't know what it was. No good books around then. He also had the most beautiful hallmarked silver plaid brooch badge for the A&SH complete with cat and boar for ?20. Unfortunately he passed away just after I joined up. Where all his stuff went I don't know. He also rolls and rolls of medal ribbon going back to the QSA. Amazing place.

I always remember going to the local cinema in the 60s, 2/6 off Dad, anything unspent at the cinema was spent in a glory hole called The Old Curiosity Shop with a wonderful old chap by the name of Mr Poole. He had drawers and drawers full of army cap badges, old silks, Khaki slip on titles, embroidered titles all I suspect the real deal. He had one really expensive badge which was circular with 1LG 2LG GG...........get the drift? He wanted a whole 5 bob for that and I didn't know what it was. No good books around then. He also had the most beautiful hallmarked silver plaid brooch badge for the A&SH complete with cat and boar for ?20. Unfortunately he passed away just after I joined up. Where all his stuff went I don't know. He also rolls and rolls of medal ribbon going back to the QSA. Amazing place.

Not one of those nice white enamelled & gilt circular badges?

I missed one of those on a Canadian dealers list a few years ago..........

I think that's part of the charm of things like these scraps - they remind you of a long lost childhood, not yours, one that you never experienced in the Boys Own days of Sherlock Holmes & Bulldog Drummond, Queen Vic & an army in red tunics.........

"23rd Fusiliers Privates Firing From a Trench" - Victorian Royal Welsh Fusiliers showing the blue facings of a "Royal Regiment".

The artist was Arthur Payne, brother of Harry Payne.

About 6" tall.

You can't help but compare this with the familiar images of WWI trench warfare.

Edited by leigh kitchen

• 3 years later...

The horseman chasing the Boer is probably intended to represent an officer (clue: the sword) in the South African Light Horse (clue: the plume of long black feathers on the hat). The feathers came from the males of a small grassland bird, the long-tailed widow, which is known in Zulu as the "sakabula".

Brett

"23rd Fusiliers Privates Firing From a Trench" - Victorian Royal Welsh Fusiliers showing the blue facings of a "Royal Regiment".

The artist was Arthur Payne, brother of Harry Payne.

About 6" tall.

You can't help but compare this with the familiar images of WWI trench warfare.

Good Morning Gentlemen......

I have a quite rare book called entitled "FOR QUEEN AND COUNTRY" The Career of Harry Payne Military Artist 1858-1927 by Michael Cane. It is a limited edition of 400 copies my copy is #55.

In this book it of course explains the career of Hary Payne and also his brother Arthur who did not do much in the military field. But the nice thing in it is a list of all the works that Harry Payne did in his lifetime broken down into, Military Scraps, Early Greeting Cards, his complete Postcard Series, Cigarette Cards, Toys, Books, Prints, Pictures, Sketchbooks and Rural Postcards.

I have a very large original painting of his, 12th Lancers done in 1881 and hope that I can post some decent pictures for your pleasure.....

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

Wonderful painting Mike, thanks for sharing. May I ask where you found such a wonderful piece?

Simon

Good Afternoon Simon......

I purchased it from the estate of a collector here in Calgary..... I purchased a total of 8 Payne watercolours and oils but had to sell 6 of them to recoup the funds so that I could keep the one I really wanted.....

One I donated to a military museum for tax purposes..... LOL

Mike

Mike

As i said a wonderful painting and I'm very, very jealous! I know Payne's style of painting is not to everyone's taste, perhaps it evokes memories of Empire but I personally love the depictions of the British Army full dress which is now so sadly lacking in this modern era.

Simon

Marvelous prints, the Payne brothers & Simkins - this scrap is based on a Caton Woodville illustraton, "A gentleman in kharki", it's hand painted, or rather given a wash of paint, & is in slight relief & made of a plastic like substance - cellulose?