News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Edgar... An interesting question.

There could be several reasons? Pilots such as Galland and M?lders had a head start by being involved in the Spanish civil war and would have been put in the spotlight as heroes before Steinhoff started his combat career in 1939.

I?m sure that answering Hitler, on being asked (During the award ceremony for Steinhoff?s Oak Leaves to the Knights Cross: 1942) what he thought of the war in the East and the new territory that would be gained once the war was won: "I hope the F?hrer will not become too attached to it, because I don't think we will be taking up long-term residence" would not have helped him win any favours with the Nazi Party.

As the war progressed, and the tide turned against Germany, Steinhoff became very outspoken when it came to the treatment of his pilots and often criticized Hitler and G?ring for using them as cannon fodder, to the point where he was threatened with a court-martial after he and other high ranking commanders tried to have G?ring replaced as head of the Luftwaffe during the so called ?Luftwaffe Revolt? of 1945.

So, even though He flew more than 900 missions and engaged in aerial combat in over 200 sorties, scoring 176 kills, I believe that his ?attitude? was probably considered to be not was looked for in a loyal hero of the Reich.

Thanks, Temple.

Yes, always POLITICS. But, that means that there were not a standard of victories or something like that which determinated the bestowing of the award? Like say, "when a pilot gets his 50 victories the Knigh Cross, 75 the oak leaves", etc. Was that the same case in the KM and army?

Thanks

Edgar

PS: Sorry about my English, I hope you understand what I am trying to say. :D

I think I?m right in saying that when the ?RK? was first awarded to members of the Luftwaffe, the criteria was based on an accumulation of a 20 points total?. 1 point for downing a single-engine aircraft, 2 points for a twin-engine aircraft and 3 points for a four-engine aircraft. All points were doubled for kills at night.

As the war progressed, the criteria (total points) was continually adjusted upwards, I assume the same is true for the criteria for Oak Leaves... swords and diamonds.