News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I would agree with Yankee... There were awards of the MVO/MVK without swords 1914-18

Of course there were a few awards without swords during the war. There were only three manufacturers, Leser, Hemmerle and Weiss&Co, who produced the MVO during the war. They all had to make a cross without swords first and add them later with a screw. All war decorations were made out of civilians. Sometimes it is easy to see whether or not swords were removed again, but there might be still a sign to find out. One thing is absolutely for sure. There were no decorations without swords with a silver gilt centre! Not in the fourth or any higher class of the MVO!

Bernd

Also keep in mind that all those nice orders and medals represented a real business like today. Contracts were made and awarded to suppliers.

Due to the fact that MVO's were sheldom awarded during the 1914-1918 timeframe it is highly unlikely that all manufactures got awarded with the no sword deal.

Specific items were bought from specificly identified suppliers. Cost was certainly one of the major drivers. Just like in today's business.

It seems I opened Pandor's Box :speechless1: , never my intention. If I understand correctly Weiss & Co was only in the business of manufacturing 4th class MVO during the Great War & without swds gold center. Let us hope there are only a few isolated instances that MVO's have been tampered :mad: .

It seems I opened Pandor's Box :speechless1: , never my intention. If I understand correctly Weiss & Co was only in the business of manufacturing 4th class MVO during the Great War & without swds gold center. Let us hope there are only a few isolated instances that MVO's have been tampered :mad: .

The way out of confusion. Here is a list of who produced what.

(G) ? Gold and (sg) ? Silver gilt, means for 4th class only the center, 3rd class is cross and center Gold or Silver gilt. There are also older 3rd class, former RK I, by Hausinger, Quellhorst and perhaps Elchinger.

Weiss did not manufactured 3. Class crosses.

Bernd

4.doc

4.doc

• 2 years later...

QUOTE(Yankee @ Feb 1 2007, 23:48 ) It seems I opened Pandor's Box speechless1.gif , never my intention. If I understand correctly Weiss & Co was only in the business of manufacturing 4th class MVO during the Great War & without swds gold center. Let us hope there are only a few isolated instances that MVO's have been tampered mad.gif .

The way out of confusion. Here is a list of who produced what.

(G) ? Gold and (sg) ? Silver gilt, means for 4th class only the center, 3rd class is cross and center Gold or Silver gilt. There are also older 3rd class, former RK I, by Hausinger, Quellhorst and perhaps Elchinger.

Weiss did not manufactured 3. Class crosses.

Bernd

Then, these Weiss MVO 3. class are a fake?

http://www.hermann-h..._GB&db=M-50.txt

http://www.hermann-h..._GB&db=M-50.txt

Edited by palencia