News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

order of the british empire

Hello!

To compare with an "member of the british empire" - cross I have seen a few days ago and which I would like to buy I would like to ask for an HQ-picture of these order. I have found a few pics here (mostly on bars) but in my oppinion not really good for comparison, so it would be great if someone of you could post me his order!

Additional: is there an official homepage of the members or the gouvernement about it? And, at least: Does anyone have graphics - not pictures - of british medals and/or orders or could give me a link to them?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

westfale

I am not quite sure what you are looking for, but see:

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3706 (first variety)

or

http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/un...-kingdom024.htm

I can put up MBE or OBE scans later, if you wish.

Recipients would be listed in the London Gazette and can be searched online when it is in a good mood:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSearch.asp

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Hello Ed!

The picture-links are ok, but I need a detailed picture in better quality, so:

Could you post me a scan of an MBE, front and rear side?

Do you have an silver-stamp/mark on it?

westfale

What variety? What era? Are you seeking a specific maker??

These are outside the sort of concerns that most British collectors express, so forgive my confusion.

Sorry for the confusion -

My question for pictures and the marks are in connection with an 2nd type civil class MBE I would like to buy, but because I normally collect german awards I have no detailed information about the order and especially about fakes, so I asked for the marks and/or stamps because it would be easier to see "fake or not". And also the question for the hq-pictures - they are for comparison to the order I am interested in.

Unfortunately I forgot to make some pictures of the award which I am interested in, and the man who offered me the order was an old man with no digital camera and no detailed catalogue of his medals/awards...

Again, sorry for the confusion - the pictures I am interested in was given to me; the award which was offered to me is not named like to MBE on the picture above. Is this normal? And were I can find the silver-marks, if there were silver-marks (because it's made of silver, isn't it?).

Thanks for your help!

westfale

Edited by westfale

While there may be fake MBEs out there, I have never seen or heard of one. It is fairly common and not at all high priced (maybe ?80 for an MBE). Likewise, the sort of fixation with maker's marks or hallmarks that collectors of German awards evidence seems strange to the collector of British awards. I have never seen (or, to honest, even looked for) hallmarks on the second variety MBE (any more than there are hallmarks on silver decorations and medals), though they are seen on the first type badge. If you are buying from a reliable and knowledgable dealer there is probably no problem. I'm sorry to say that, from the sound of it, you may not be dealing with such a dealer. If you want some names of reliable dealers, send me a PM.

Edited by Ed_Haynes