News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe Fighter in Original Paint

This fighter is displayed in the Australian War Memorial. I believe that it is the only one in the world that has its original wartime paint-job i.e. it has never been touched up since WW2. Note that the method of mounting allows you to walk beneath the plane. It is utilised as part of the "G for George" display, a full size (predominately Aussie crewed) Lancaster bomber sits just forward of it. Halfway through a audio-visual/lights show this fighter "attacks" G for George during a night-time air raid.

Edited by Tiger-pie

Hallo Tiger-pie, Great but dark pictures, I took the liberty of high-lighting them for more detail :jumping:

With regards this plane Me.109 tail number 163824, has the propellor boss / spinner had a spiral added in white paint?

And the black Crosses on the fusalage appear to have been re-defined in white by brush painting, and not the usual spray stencil.

Is possible to know if this is a field paint job by Jerry or after capture?

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

G'da Kev

I'm not really sure where it originated from. I can't really check now that I no longer live in Canberra. From memory the information plaque only gave a general rundown on the aircraft, and not the history of this one plane.

Regards;

Johnsy

G'da Kev

I'm not really sure where it originated from. I can't really check now that I no longer live in Canberra. From memory the information plaque only gave a general rundown on the aircraft, and not the history of this one plane.

Regards;

Johnsy

Thanks for the info & pics, Johnsy :cheers: Kevin in Deva.