News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

:rolleyes: Okay, I?m really going to go out on a limb on this one. The last one is mostly likely a Russian St. Anna (degree unknown) or medal ?for zeal?; but #3 and #4 present an interesting possibility. First, #3 could be a Russian St. George order, or cross, and #4 could be a W?rttemberg Friedrich Order, a Hannoverian Guelph Order (again degree unknown) or even a Hannoverian civil merit medal; but we could also consider a rather extreme possibility.

#3 and #4, if combined to represent one ribbon, would be a Russian 1814 capture of Paris medal. See below, far right.

I'm going to take a wild stab at it, and put my money on the Napoleonic era.

1) Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, medal for volunteers of the 5th German Army Corps. (the off-white stripes should be yellow, but maybe they faded?)

2) Saxon Duchies war commemorative for 1814/15

3) Russia, Order (or cross) of St. George

4) Hanover, Guelphic medal for war merit 1815

5) Prussia, golden military merit medal 1797-1815 (or silver if it dates before 1806)

6) I'm kind of at a loss for this one - maybe a Schaumburg Lippe Civil Merit Medal, after 1830. Otherwise another non-German award I haven't figured out, but not a Russian St. Anne, as that would have been placed next to the St. George ribbon.

Tim

Great input Tim. I considered the Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, medal (example for reference below) but did not factor the ?faded yellow? possibility. This especially makes sense because the color of what is most likely a Russian St. George for #3 is also a bit faded.

With regard to what we both think may be a Hannoverian Guelphic award in position #4, I doubt that this would be a medal because as far as I know, those medals all went to nco?s and or?s in Hannoverian and King?s German Legion units, which I do not think would apply to this individual. Therefore, I would favor a Guelphic knight.

Your guess about #5 makes as much sense as anything else suggested so far. Now with regard to the last Item, since as far as I know, the Russian St. George was awarded for military merit only and the Guelph could be a knight with swords, awards 1 - 5 are all military. Therefore, would a civil St. Anna be in the correct position, after all of the military awards?

Wild Card